MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
GRAVYDAWG
Found some matches.

Default Pellet fuel

I just bought a yoder pellet grill and was wondering if anyone has advice on pellets to use. Basically which have the best taste.
GRAVYDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Best taste is relative. Do you mean which wood to use or which brand?
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
GRAVYDAWG
Found some matches.

Which brand.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

BBQer's Delight are very popular and I like them a lot. I prefer apple, but that is sold out a lot of the time so hickory gets used too. I would recommend getting a couple different kinds of trying them out. Kinds that I have used, and can recommend in no particular order...Traeger, BBQer's Delight, Cookin Pellets, Lumberjack, and Fast Eddies.

Some like to play tricks on you with their wording. Most pellets are not actually 100% of what they say they are. You will buy a bag marked "hickory" and it is probably about 25 - 30% hickory, and the rest is oak. There are several makers who produce 100% hickory or other types of wood pellets. They are very clear about this and charge more for them of course. So some companies decided they would try to steal some of the 100% market and claim theirs to be 100% hardwood and charge a little bit more than your normal hickory pellets. Well that is great and all but oak is still a hardwood and they are trying to fool you into thinking you getting 100% hickory in my opinion. 100% flavorwood is becoming the marketing wording for pellets containing only the type of wood listed. Shipping on pellets costs money if you internet order like most. In the end, after you figure shipping into them, anything for $1 a pound or less is a pretty good deal.

Make sure you are getting food grade pellets and not heating pellets, pellets were first used in heaters and may contain oils and such. Heater pellets should be much cheaper and while some people use them, nearly everyone says don't.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the Yoder.

I have really liked Lumberjack pellets and BBQr's Delight pellets on mine. IMO the Lumberjacks offer a more smokey flavor since they leave in the bark of the wood. I still want to try some Cookshack pellets and cookinpellets brand also. I buy Lumberjack brand in bulk and save a TON of money on pellets.

I personally don't like Traeger pellets. They don't offer up much flavor and usually cost more than others.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post
Make sure you are getting food grade pellets and not heating pellets, pellets were first used in heaters and may contain oils and such. Heater pellets should be much cheaper and while some people use them, nearly everyone says don't.
^ +1 Like Ajstrider says. use only food grade pellets, the other can make you ill / sick.

I purchase my pellets directly from Traeger, if you order any two bags they ship for free, no shipping charges.

Traeger Pellets Click Here
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I would look to see what is available in your area. Shipping can be expensive. You may also be able to find others in your area who have pellet grills/smokers and place a bulk order.

I use BBQr's Delight. I like the balance between heat, flavor and low ash production. I have also used Fast Eddy's pellets and they were good quality and I have used Cookinpellets.com and they were fine.

I am not impressed with Traeger pellets. The composition is different depending on which side of the country you are on and I find a lot of long pieces that don't feed right and quite a bit of dust in the bags.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

Go to academy. B&B pellets are just rebranded Bbqr's delight pellets. I prefer just the good ol fashioned oak ones.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
GRAVYDAWG
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the info. I actually just found Char Griller pellets at Lowes home improvement for $17 for a 20 lb bag. They say gourmet hardwood pellets and are a mix of all flavors in one bag (i guess a blend you could say). That means when I need them I can just go five min. down the road and buy.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I've never used them, but your Yoder will use some pellets quickly. I would look into a less expensive source of quality pellets. Probably a bulk buy from the manufacturer or if a local BBQ shop will give you a good bulk deal.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
DC-Q
Full Fledged Farker

You can save a lot of $$$ if you have storage space and can buy in bulk.
cookin-pellets will give you a good deal.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

$17.00 for 20lbs is crazy high
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
MossyMO
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Marty Owens

Congrats on the YS640 GRAVYDAWG! Have had a YS640 since the January before last and can tell you your going too love it!

From my experience Lumberjack and BBBQr's Delight are the two best choices available. I use Lumberjack myself and sell them locally, below is a breakdown of how Lumberjack's pellet flavors are manufactured.

Hickory - 100% Hickory Pellets
Oak - 100% Oak Pellets
Cherry - 100% Cherry Pellets
Maple - 100% Maple Pellets
Apple - 60% Apple/40% Oak Pellets
Mesquite - 60% Mesquite/40% Oak Pellets
Pecan - 60% Pecan/40% Oak Pellets
MHC - 1/3 Maple, 1/3 Hickory, 1/3 Cherry (this is a blended pellet, not a mixture of pellets)
OHC - 1/3 Oak, 1/3Hickory, 1/3 Cherry
(this is a blended pellet, not a mixture of pellets)
MossyMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

cookingpellets.com has a good variety. If your in the Midwest, send an email and ask for speedy delivery. About 1/2 the shipping cost.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote