BBQ Brethren "Soul Food" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Soul Food"

Soul_Food_Front.jpg

Fro optional...

As chosen by Boogiesnap for his winning dish in the "Fusion" Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

boogiesnap said:
how's it going? let's go with SOUL FOOD!

thanks for everything!
What?:twitch: No special rules?:confused:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/19 through Sunday 4/28.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 4/29.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Please note that THIS is the entry thread. QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread.

Discussion Thread is HERE.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Heading to the cabin next weekend to look at the ice and wish for warmer weather. If I have time I have a video idea but I'm doubting that will happen either so decided to jump in on this one early. This was a first attempt and making "fried/baked" chicken on the egg. It was not without its problems including starting out with a frozen cooker.

Cook Thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159258

Official Entry

My last post in the Throwdown Forum .....Going to Italy On Wednesday

So as my title says this is "my last Throwdown entry" for now! We are headed for Italy on Wednesday for a Windsurf Cruise. I cannot wait to hit the tarmac and be airborne! This Soul food throwdown is right up my alley though, I make this style of food regularly.

The Pantry Picks

Ribs cut individually

The beginings of Mac-N-Cheese

Ribs rubbed and Chicken on the smoker

Washed Collard Greens

Render some bacon and chopped onion and garlic

Peppered and in the pot!

Everthing cooked ouside on the either the gasser or the kamado

Add the Mac-N-Cheese

Almost ready to pull

Collards ready to go!

Final Plate. Please use this as my official entry shot!

Looks real good Hometruckin; how long does it take to do the ribs that way?

My Entry: Ghoulash

My take on Ghoulash. A very simple and cheap meal to prepare. All you need for this meal is:

- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box pasta (Macaroni or Rotini)

Bring pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. At the same time, grill the ground beef. After the beef is done and pasta are done, drain water from the pan with the pasta and add beef, soup, and milk. Stir all the ingredients together until well mixed. Please accept this picture as my official entry photo.

Attachments

• photo (18).jpg
    photo (18).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 265
This is my official entry...

I love soul food, but it is not easy to cook, and not all that healthy, but in moderation...

I went with the basics -- the stuff I like to eat at a soul food joint. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and fried okra with white gravy.

I started off making my mashed potatoes and white gravy in advance. I usually make my mashed taters country style, with skins on and roughly mashed, but soul food mashed taters are smoother, so I peeled the skins, and boiled to fork tender.

picture.php

To make good soul food mashed potatoes, you need to do a two step, first you run them through a potato ricer, then you mix them with butter, salt. pepper and some milk until they are smooth and creamy.

picture.php

I also made my white gravy in advance. I made a white roux with butter and flour, then added milk, salt and pepper, brought it to a boil, and it was done.

picture.php

No soul food supper is complete without some cornbread, so I whipped up some of that from scratch, too.

picture.php

Now for the chicken, I got adventurous, and made some Kettle Fried Chicken. I made a batter with milk, eggs, and flour, dipped my chicken in flour, then dipped it in the batter, and then dipped it in melted butter. Yeah, the kitchen is a mess, I am a messy cook.

picture.php

On to the redhead, indirect, for about 40 minutes.

picture.php

While that was cooking, I deep fried some okra. I didn't take pictures of that.

Here is the final meal. Kettle Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra and some homemade cornbread.

picture.php

Oh, yeah, that is a mason jar full of sweet tea -- as if I really need to tell you. What else would you serve with soul food.

CD

Last edited:
Man that looks good. I didn't know you could use a fryer and oven.

A substantial element of the entry needs to be cooked on a grill or smoker. You can cook sides and such other ways. The Kettle Fried Chicken was the central element of my cook.

Sometimes I do most everything on the grill or smoker, but this was my first attempt at KFC so So I cooked the sides in advance, so I could focus on the chicken. In hindsight, KFC is a lot easier to make than I expected.

CD

I feel like someone should do a health and wellness check on bigabyte to make sure he is ok. Maybe we could have a 6 way winner for this TD! :wink:

I feel like someone should do a health and wellness check on bigabyte to make sure he is ok. Maybe we could have a 6 way winner for this TD! :wink:

I thought Moose joined in to help bigabyte get his poll up. Seems Moose is just a tease.

CD

Back