MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #12751
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here ya go porkin'

3/4" x 9ga expanded with 1" x 1/8" strap...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #12752
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Here ya go porkin'

3/4" x 9ga expanded with 1" x 1/8" strap...

Nice basket! No ashpan?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM   #12753
4ever3

No sir, ash pans seem like they're more trouble than they're worth.

So I bought a pooper scooper and it works like a champ!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

Old 06-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #12754
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L6...per&th=1&psc=1
Really?! No problems here!

I've seen a few ppl using the pooper scoopers

Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #12755
4ever3

Proof there's more than one way to skin a cat...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #12756
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L6...per&th=1&psc=1
I use a disposable aluminum roasting pan. i crush down to flatten out the high sides and put in the bottom of the drum. Then i put the charcoal basket on top of it. When im done with a cook i just lift out the aluminum roasting pan empty the old ash, replace and start over. i used one pan for 2 years.
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #12757
jdm3887
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default New UDS Builder

I wanted to thank everyone for the posts. I'll admit, I've only read through page 155 but plan to keep pushing on. I went ahead and built mine using the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method. I'm Seasoning it now using cheapo Wally World charcoal. Unbelievably steady temperature results. So, thank to everyone for posting and helping newby's like myself. I'm looking forward to continued BBQ education!
jdm3887 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #12758
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

I feel I can finally join this thread.
This is my first UDS build and the first cook of spare ribs and pulled pork.
Thanks to all the info in here I was able to build and enjoy an easy fun cook.

This is my build thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=246582
My father commissioned a UDS from me. So on to the second!
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #12759
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Great barrels one problem

finally found some really good barrels for making my UDS. They're in great condition and had Vaseline in them. However they have the dreaded red liner in them. I know this has been discussed quite a bit, however I am undecided on method and looking for additional input.

1 somebody mentioned using a stripper such as citristrip or something non-toxic this could be a very possible option just wondering who has actually had luck with it and how did you go about it.

2 weed burner have heard mixed things does it actually work and how much propane you go through how long does this take.

3 doing a big old burn really is NOT an option where I live would have to make special arrangements for this

Old 07-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #12760
iowahill
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default My first UDS

After researching some of the great ideas that the brethren have posted, I decided to build my own UDS that I'm pretty happy with. Started on it last weekend and completed it this weekend, about 4 short days all tolled. I loaded about 20 lbs of mesquite charcoal in it to season the internals and racks.

I started with a new barrel with no coatings of any sort that ran me $80. Because I wasn't completely certain about the final design I ended up buying more hardware that I decided I wasn't going to use. And I bought a Weber cooker on Craiglist just for the lid. I have a welder and fabrication tools, so I utilized that which seemed easiest and hassle-free.

Bought a Thermo Pro dual remote thermometer for it which is really nice, warning me of presettable upper and lower temps for the smoker and meat, and programmable cooking time. Next step is to add a PID controlled fan to maintain steady smoking temps.

If I can figure out how to post images I'll update my post showing construction details.
iowahill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #12761
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Most find a PID/fan/ATC not really needed to maintain steady smoking temps with a UDS but go for it. I almost get walked into by people all day long who cannot go the the break room without looking down at their cellphones every step. Folk do like their gadgets but don't confuse like with need.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #12762
iowahill
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default My first UDS

After researching some of the great ideas that the brethren have posted, I decided to build my own UDS that I'm pretty happy with. Started on it last weekend and completed it this weekend, about 4 short days all tolled. I loaded about 20 lbs of mesquite charcoal in it to season the internals and racks.

I started with a new barrel with no coatings of any sort that ran me $80. Because I wasn't completely certain about the final design I ended up buying more hardware that I decided I wasn't going to use. And I bought a Weber cooker on Craiglist just for the lid. I have a welder and fabrication tools, so I utilized that which seemed easiest and hassle-free.

I opted to use three-point suspension for everything. As long as measurements are on spot there shouldn't be any reason to use more. The Weber lid mod consists of 1/8" x 1 1/2" aluminum strip pop riveted to the inside of the drum, about 3/8" above the lip of the drum. I used one pop rivet every 7" around the perimeter.

Bought a Thermo Pro dual remote thermometer for it which is really nice, warning me of presettable upper and lower temps for the smoker and meat, and programmable cooking time. Next step is to add a PID controlled fan to maintain steady smoking temps.

I think I've figured out the image posting protocol, so here are some images of construction details and comments.

uds-1.jpg
This was the barrel with my final choice of hardware attached. I opted to use 3/8" eye bolts to support the two 3/4" air intake and valve assemblies. Used the head of a ball peen hammer to slightly expand the eye opening to fit over the pipe. Cleaner ans easier than using a strap. Still needed to figure out how I wanted to design my fire basket and ash catcher tough...

uds-2.jpg
This weekend i got it painted, my ash catcher and a water pan/diffuser support fabricated. A cheap barrel dolly makes for easy movement...

uds-3.jpg
I have four air intakes, two with ball valves. The one on the rear is for a PID controlled fan, my next project...

uds-4.jpg
The rear vent is for a PID controlled fan...

uds-5.jpg
Here is 20 lbs of mesquite charcoal "seasoning the drum internals and racks...

uds-6.jpg
This is the burner stack. I'm using a Weber ash pan that sits on a cheap pizza pan, with the 19 1/2" tripod welded to a Weber charcoal grate for the water pan/diffuser that uses another Weber ash pan (for now). I used more of the expanded metal wired to the sides of the basket so that smaller charcoal wouldn't fall throught the Weber charcoal grate. The basket is wired to the grate rather than using fasteners...
uds thermo.jpg
I absolutely LOVE the Thermo Pro dual remote thermometer! Cheap and efective. Takes a lot of guesswork and uncertainty out of the equation.

Once again, many thanks to the brethren who have cleared the path
iowahill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #12763
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Build looks great! What color is that you used? Also, just my .02, a water pan isn't needed in these drums. It's a very moist cooking environment as it is. I'd use that lower grate for a diffuser plate and even direct grilling. I also have that same thermo, works great and customer service has been top notch. Probes have gone bad but replaced without issue.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #12764
4ever3

Great build iowahill!!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #12765
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkinButts82 View Post
Build looks great! What color is that you used? Also, just my .02, a water pan isn't needed in these drums. It's a very moist cooking environment as it is. I'd use that lower grate for a diffuser plate and even direct grilling. I also have that same thermo, works great and customer service has been top notch. Probes have gone bad but replaced without issue.

Agree on the water pan. On my last cook whenever I opened the lid I got steam cover on my glasses. Not smoke but steam and there was no water added anywhere in the UDS.
Also use that same thermo and enjoying it very much.

The build looks fantastic iowahill. Makes me wish I had some welding skills...
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker