beef ribs 321 method

SmokinJoe70

Reaction score
Has anyone used the 321 method to cook beef ribs and the ribs are done before the time? I have kept the fire around 225 to 240 degrees. any help?

i've never foiled beef ribs. at those temps though, figure about 6 hours out of foil.

are you currently behind or ahead of schedule?

how long have they been on?

Beef ribs take forever. Not sure if it's enough time at those temps.

Beef ribs are like brisket, they have wildly varying times until they are done. I am not sure you could time them, even with foil. Then again, I could be wrong. It's not like I've actually tried it. Still though, I would expect some variance in time, probably significant.

SmokinJoe, I tried Short ribs last weekend and wish I had Bigabyte's advice. I cooked mine for 5.5 hours and they easily needed 7 to 7.5 hours. I finished them off in the oven for another 2 hours at 250 and they were just right.

Beef ribs are like brisket, they have wildly varying times until they are done. I am not sure you could time them, even with foil. Then again, I could be wrong. It's not like I've actually tried it. Still though, I would expect some variance in time, probably significant.

Wise words once again. Weight for weight I find beef ribs all over the place compared to swine. No idea why, they just need more TLC.

yeah bend test... interesting. Does that apply for beef ribs? I have done short ribs and I go more for the probe test like I do a brisky.

this is definately true, BUT, just like brisket you can strong-arm them with some high heat.

@ 325-350 on the WSM they will be tender, rendered, and crusty on the outside in 3 hours.

Back