• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham

Hi Jim! Thanks for the info. I was to the point where I was going to try a spiral-sliced ham, but today I bought an unsliced Cook's shank portion that was about 6 lbs at Miejer's since they had one. It has a sell by date of 12/25, so I stuck it in my basement fridge and I'll probably cook it in a couple of weeks. That was the only non-spiral-sliced ham I could find.

jminion said:
The problem with spiral hams is when you heat them up they dry out, that said I know someone who wrapped one tight in plastic wrap and injected it. It a messy deal but the injection did help keep moisture levels higher during cook. I would put some smoke on for a couple of hours then wrap and take up to finish temp.
Jim
That's what I figured would happen. I wonder if I cook it real low, in the cool spot with a butt on top as a baster, what would happen. :idea: I agree with you r suggestion to only cook for a couple of hours that way, then wrap and finish cooking.

Don't get Smithfield and Country ham's confused. Smithfield is a brand name and makes both a bone in city ham and county ham's. Country ham is the ones that are in the cloth bag that hang in the stores are very salty and most of the water has been removed and do not need any form of cooling. City hams the ones that can be used are found in the coolers wrapped in plastic, have a use by date, and a water content of XX%. XX is based on the different makers of the product the lower the number the higher the price.

Ham for Thanksgiving

I wanted to do something a little different this year and was thinking of smoking a ham. What would be the best cook time? Anybody with experience?

Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit Professional

Harry (aka Cabo) has done hams as gifts several years. Hopefully he'll see this and respond - otherwise drop him a PM or use the membership page lookup to send him an email.

Shot a 19 pound ham up with the sweet kiss of death injectable marinade and put it in the garage fridge about an hour ago. Just went out to get a pepsi and the fridge smells like a praline. I think this ham with the glaze may be able to induce a diabetic coma. I can't wait.

Thank you Dr. Chicken, wherever you are.

Attachments

• Dr Chicken Ham.JPG
    Dr Chicken Ham.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 265
That looks soooooo good, Kevin! If I leave now, i can be there in time for a bedtime snack! :-D

Ron, it really, really is good! Mine looked a lot like that (except for the lack of doneness! - See 5:23AM CST thread). But the flavor when we "fixed" the cooking problem, it was awesome!

I did another Dr. Chicken Double Smoked Ham yesterday using a Cumberland Gap semi-boneless ham. The butt bone and shank bone were both removed so only the long bone in the center remained. I will never use another semi-boneless. All of the Sweet Kiss of Death Injectible Marinade leaked out!! It was still good and I received plenty of compliments on the ham but it was not up to my standards. I went to 5 different gocery stores trying to find a whole bone-in ham and the best I could come up with was the semi-boneless. Never again.

Hell Neil, I had a Cook's whole bone-in ham and about 80% of my injectable Dr. Death marinade leaked out by morning too. But it still had an awesome taste! you could definitely taste the Amaretto... MANY compliments (on the done part anyway...).

Good looking Ham Kevin! I used the Dr. Chicken Glaze on the outside and was going to glaze the slices but my wife and kid tasted the ham after I smoked it and threatened my life if I dared to do anything else to it.

I guess it tasted pretty good.

wsm said:
I ordered my Watkins stuff from http://www.qualityextracts.com/ and saved a couple of bux on shipping:smile:

Cool. Thanks for the link. I dropped the ball and forgot to order my extracts for the double smoked ham for T-Day. I do plan to do a ham for Xmas though. Always nice to have a secondary store for goods.

I keep seeing problems with locating a bone in ham. Are there no Meat markets/Butcher shops where you can go to get them???? Just curious

A big $5 thanks to WSM for the link to QualityExtracts. Although their site charges .50c more for the rum extract, the over all cost is $5 less. Ive ordered my extracts to do the double smoked ham and all I need to buy now is the Karo. I bought some of that good sqaure top Amaretto the other day and Im really looking forward to getting into that several times before and after the ham. I like to spill it in coffee. It's the cat's ass.

Amaretto is good in coffee,capuccino,hot chocolate,my belly, and most anywhere else ingested. Believe it or not, if you eat a little too much, not that any of us ever does, it is an excellent remedy for indigestion. Better than a rolaid.

Back