• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

*Cured* Smoked Turkey

It took 1 1/2 gallons of cure/brine to fully cover the 19lb turkey. That's less then the weight of the turkey. I injected 10% of the cure/brine weight. But i did follow the 3 injections per breast, 2 per leg, 1 per thigh, 1 per wing. I think it was equally distributed.

Its been three days below 38F, should i for safe measure, inject some more of the brine into the turkey?

No ... Injecting more brine could possibly increase the PPM past the acceptable limits.

Also, That Rytek recipe says to smoke at 130F for 5 hours then gradually raise to 170F till the IT of the turkey reaches 155F. My 1300 lowest temp is 165F.

I could probably truss and hang it in my MES30 and cold smoke in that 130F range, but i really don't like to cold smoke for more then an hour since most foods i smoke in the MES take on too much smoke.

The idea of starting at 130° is to allow the turkey to take on more smoke flavor. If it were me, I'd just smoke at your lowest setting and keep it simple.

Looks like you are off to a great start.

Today is day 5, worked late so its been drying on a turkey rack for 30 minutes now and is going into the 1300 in a few minutes.

20190325-191055.jpg

20190325-191310.jpg

20190325-191354.jpg

Last edited:
Brought it to 140F late last night, had to put it into an aluminum pan and wrap in foil in the fridge overnight to finish tonight. Its at 90F and climbing, should reach 160F in a few hours.

20190326-193719.jpg

never heard of finishing the cook day 2, is that safe? just trying to understand

never heard of finishing the cook day 2, is that safe? just trying to understand

Well, it should be fully cured to start. It was brought to 140F before it went right into the fridge. Its not like it sat out at unsafe temps. I mean, there is such a thing as turkey jerky, so i will assume turkey can be fully cured and cooked at low temps. Who knows, maybe the turkey climbed to 150F before it went back down to below 40F.

If it wasn't cured, i would have tossed it. But then again, i would have not smoked at such low temps, so it would have hit the target temp alot sooner if it wasn't already cured.

Hopefully IamMadMan will chime in.

Thanks Candice, I'm not all that familiar with curing meat and certainly this is the first I heard of cured turkey.

Standing by for final results.

Thanks Candice, I'm not all that familiar with curing meat and certainly this is the first I heard of cured turkey.

Standing by for final results.

Cured turkey is like ham. Its probably not very common in most places, but i live 10 miles from a fairly large Turkey farm and they always have smoked "cured" Turkeys for sale at local grocery stores around the holidays. They are very expensive, around $60-$80 a turkey. I always wanted to try making one, and everything was going great until but i misjudged the time it would take to reach target temp, it got to late and i had no choice but to wrap it in foil and put it in the fridge at 140F. But i feel pretty confident due to the long cure time, that its still safe, i just need to bring it back up till i hit 160F and it should be good eats.

Back