Backwoods Owners Advice Please

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Some questions can you help me out?
Okay I just got approved by the wife to get a Backwoods or some kind of new smoker for X-Mas. The two models I am looking at are the extened party and the fatbot....if the money works out maybe the competitor?
I will be using it in the backyard for the most part and will cook for anywhere from 5 to 10 people most of the time. But also I do some big cooks a few times a year anywhere between 80 to 125 people. Then ALSO I would like to compete a few times next year.
If you were out to get one for my needs which way would you go? And what are the pros and cons of each?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

The competitor is a fatboy w/ 2 additional shelves. The usual rule is to buy as much capacity as you can.

cant go wrong with a fatboy, will serve your needs for backyard and comps, also they are the most likely ones to find used

You better order it now if you want it before X-mas. :roll:

IMm a dealer for backwoods...fair warning.

We love it We started with two Party's and now are competing with the piglet pro. My advice is always buy the one bigger than you initially choose.....If you are thinkin party get the fatboy...if you are thinking fatboy get the competitor.

We love them.

Like Biffalo, we are a dealer as well. The Fatboy is a great cooker with very good capacity. Like Bubba said, please order early, we can help you out with that when you are ready...

Get the bigger one and put wheels on it so you can move it around. At the very least, get a hand truck.

Since the competitor is taller, there'll be a greater heat difference between the top and bottom rack. Although with a little practice, you'll figure it out and it shouldn't be any problem at all. Might also require a little more time and/or fuel to get rolling, but you can always use some sort of gas assist system (weedburner, etc.) to help speed things up.

Either way, I think BWS makes a mighty fine smoker.

Let us know how it goes.

Once you get one you will always want bigger so I would say go with the biggest you can afford..

The Gator!! (Tail Gator)!! Works perfectly everytime! Love it!!! :thumb:

Happy BBQ'n
Alissa
Okie from Muskogee

This is a tough one because of the disparity in cook sizes you want to do.
There's some good advice that has already been given. I agree that you should get the largest unit you can afford but it will be overkill when you want to cook for 5 people. Take a look at some pics of a Gator. It's a nice size unit...essentially a deeper Fatboy if I recall correctly. I believe KC Bobby or his brother Don had one.

get the biggist one you can afford, but remember when you see how well they work you're going to want one for the yard, one for the house, one for the car and one for your keychain! seriously though, whichever one you get, if you are going to cook with water in the pan i would get the auto water feed to prevent you from having to open the door so much.

I just sold my Party. It was a hell of a rib cooker, and I'll probably get another one day, BUT...

For any water smoker I bought in the future, I would definitely make sure it had a way to add water without opening the cooker. My Party had the removable water pan, which sounded like a good idea, but in practice - not so much. Running the water pan dry is about the worst thing that can happen in a BW. Some kind of autowater device is a must for these smokers IMO.

Back