MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Default iQue on Char-Griller Kamado

Has anyone tried a Pitmaster iQue on a CGK? I use one on my UDS and it does a fantastic job. However, I'm afraid it may be a little too powerful for the CGK. For this reason, I am considering adding a dedicated port for it with a ball valve so that I can restrict the air flow as needed. I would just drill a hole in the ash pan and mount the necessary hardware kind of like we do on a UDS. Has anyone tried this or any thoughts on this?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I believe the newer ones come with a washer in the exhaust end, that should restrict the flow a little.
Vision is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, the new ones do have the washer. My 2nd one came with that. But I was thinking if you had a dedicated port with a ball valve, you would have even more control. An added benefit would be not having to change the lower draft door. If you didn't want to use the iQue you could just close the ball valve and use the original slide control.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
andy_christy
Knows what a fatty is.

I use one on mine. Use the washer & cover all but 2 or 3 of the intake holes. Works great.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

What type of port do you use to connect the hose? Do you have a dedicated port or the lower vent control adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_christy View Post
I use one on mine. Use the washer & cover all but 2 or 3 of the intake holes. Works great.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
andy_christy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
What type of port do you use to connect the hose? Do you have a dedicated port or the lower vent control adapter?
I orderd a vent adapter for a lg BGE & ground it down to fit.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I thought about putting it on the ash pit but not sure if it would blow up the ash. I'll be looking at the options.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

The newest version (just began shipping) has an adjustable air intake damper to take the place of the washers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxU3WYLwUB0). I have not tested it yet on a CGK, but it works very well on my Primo Kamado. The intake damper setting #1 is designed to work with the smallest, most efficient pits like BSKs. I suspect the BSK is even more efficient than the CGK, so it should be fine.
John I. Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I thought about putting it on the ash pit but not sure if it would blow up the ash. I'll be looking at the options.
I think it would blow up ash, not a good area for a dedicated port IMO.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I used a pipe cap with two 1/4" holes so that the air is angled back toward the side. It blows absolutely no ash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I think it would blow up ash, not a good area for a dedicated port IMO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I put mine on the back side opposite the vents. Only thru the outer skin so the air must go around inside to come out the vents. No ash works like a charm.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I put mine on the back side opposite the vents. Only thru the outer skin so the air must go around inside to come out the vents. No ash works like a charm.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John I. Que View Post
The newest version (just began shipping) has an adjustable air intake damper to take the place of the washers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxU3WYLwUB0). I have not tested it yet on a CGK, but it works very well on my Primo Kamado. The intake damper setting #1 is designed to work with the smallest, most efficient pits like BSKs. I suspect the BSK is even more efficient than the CGK, so it should be fine.
John, thanks for posting that video. It was interesting to see how much you're blocking compared to the old ones. I have a piece of tape blocking a third of my intake. But, since it has started to warm up and I haven't taken the insulation blanket off my drum, I've been noticing that it is running hot and taking longer to cool down. Seeing that video gives me a much better idea of how much I should be blocking off.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John I. Que View Post
I recently used an original iQue 110 with the washer installed on a Bubba Keg.
I cleaned it out fully. Put a full chimney of royal oak in. (unlit) Added about a 1/4 chimney of lit coals. Set the iQue at 225. Top vent just open a crack.
Kept it like a rock.
Cooked 2 bone in pork shoulders to tender goodness in about 12 hours. (no refueling)
So I decided to let it continue and see how long it could keep temp.
17 hours. Amazing.
I love my iQue.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Oh, one other quick note. I find if the iQue is above the level of the fire. Smoke will come out of it when the fan is not running. Thus smoke not going up to the meat. So I keep it on the ground under the keg.
I would expect the same on a well sealed CG Kamado.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote