MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
tomslusher
Found some matches.

Default Diameter of top vent XL BGE or XL Primo needed for leaky King Griller

I have a cheap Menards red KingGriller from Chargriller and really seem to be having trouble getting the fire extinguished when I am done. Smoke leaks out at all area of the top vent. I was wondering if anyone with one of those grills listed can measure the inside diameter of their top vent so I can see if I can get a better replacement. My top vent is just over 5". More like 5 1/4".

It's a pretty poor design, both top and bottom. After smoking a brisket for about 18 hours (which I was able to overnight, without supervision), it still burned and smoked for another 6 or 8 before smoke finally stopped gently rolling out of the top vent. I thought I had the bottom vent sealed pretty good with silicone, but I may have not.

Although these are not my pictures, the hole you see on the right of the bottom vent was pretty typical. The only place I can think it still leaks on the bottom is near the left side of the bottom vent picture, near the screw is the outer sliding vent. There is an 1/8" gap between it and the metal that has the numbers stamped on it. Those slots have all been sealed as well as the entire inner part (or part that is screwed to the grill) of the stationary half of the vent.

Maybe someone would have a better idea how to seal this area as well as the top vent.

Thanks,

tomslusher
tomslusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
tomslusher
Found some matches.

Nobody? Are you serious?? 46 views and one day later and no one is able to help. I love how you make a new guy welcome!!!! So much for the new guy, huh?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
noam
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslusher View Post
I have a cheap Menards red KingGriller from Chargriller and really seem to be having trouble getting the fire extinguished when I am done. Smoke leaks out at all area of the top vent. I was wondering if anyone with one of those grills listed can measure the inside diameter of their top vent so I can see if I can get a better replacement. My top vent is just over 5". More like 5 1/4".
A smidge over 5 5/8" inside diameter on the Primo XL top vent.
noam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
MG_NorCal
On the road to being a farker

Patience my friend.

On my XL BGE, I measure about 5.2" o.d. on the ceramic and 5.5" i.d. on the cast iron adjustable vent.

A cheap and easy fix would be to wrap some heavy foil over the top when you're done to seal it up. If the top is sealed well, a little leakage below shouldn't matter.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslusher View Post
Nobody? Are you serious?? 46 views and one day later and no one is able to help. I love how you make a new guy welcome!!!! So much for the new guy, huh?
Relax
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
tomslusher
Found some matches.

Im sorry, maybe i overreacted. I'm may be used to more active forums where you get an answer in minutes. It sounds like the XL BGE might work. I should go talk to a store and see if they will let me borrow a top vent for a bit to see if it will work.

Again, sorry. I hope I didn't offend anyone or screw myself over.

thanks,

tomslusher