UDS build has begun!

B

bertkemtncurs

Did a first burn out on the barrel last night and rigged up a charcoal basket. I've got a second burn out going right now. I want to do a third, but rain is in the forecast for the next couple days, so I may get slowed down. Charcoal basket is 19" wide, 12" deep (9" for fuel, 3" below for ash), with a handle so I can grab it with a gaff. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Resized_S4020028.jpg
    Resized_S4020028.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Resized_S4020030.jpg
    Resized_S4020030.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Resized_S4020032.jpg
    Resized_S4020032.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Resized_S4020037.jpg
    Resized_S4020037.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 151
I'm addicted already. My first barrel didn't turn out the best but I think I'll still love her. Ready to build the next and take my time!

Have fun!

Need to build a UDS

I have been watching the post with these drums and have come to the conclusion that I have to build one of these are there any sketches of the design out there any where, I have a good out idea but don't want to screw up.

All right a new drumhead.
That charcoal basket looks it could last through an explosion! Well maybe the grate could not but the rest sure could.
Don't forget the food pron, that is what we really want.

Your on your way, can't make it official though until you do your first cook!
Keep the pics coming!! :biggrin:

You are soon to be ready for DrumPit Nirvana!!!! Remember the Food Pron!!:-D

You will love the drum. How bout some more details on that coal basket? It looks interesting.

You will love the drum. How bout some more details on that coal basket? It looks interesting.
I rigged this up out of the middle part of an old outdoor fireplace I had sitting in a barn collecting dust. I just cut down a old 22.5" grate for the bottom, and used the outside ring from the grate for the handle. I planned on making one out of expanded steel (and eventually will), but the fireplace part looked like it would work.

Good start on the UDS, you will love the way it cooks!!

What was in the barrell that makes you want to do 3 burn outs?

Thanks

Back