MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #31
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIX View Post
I have just found that on my weber kettle that it is hard to keep the temps below 275 or 300, unless I want to be opening the lid and adding pieces of charcoal every 20 min.
My plan is to start with 20 pieces of rancher lit in the chimney, add a 1 or 2 small pieces of smoke wood, let the smoek settle for a bit then put the butt on. Then monitor internal temp of meat and temp of cook area, I will shoot for the lowest temp possible but it seems hard to get below 275.
Maybe if I use the minion method, say 20-25 pieces of unlit rancher and add 10 pieces of lit rancher and a wood chunk or 2.
There is the problem!! Too much lit charcoal at one time. The minion method is your friend!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #32
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
There is the problem!! Too much lit charcoal at one time. The minion method is your friend!

Ok Mista, so use the minion method and I should be able to keep the temps lower?

My idea of the minion method: Set 20-25 unlit pieces of charcoal on the edge of the kettle, then lite 5-8 pieces and add to the unlit along with my chunk or chunks of wood. Wait 15 -20 min, then put the butt on?
Does this sound about right? Is my lit to unlit charcoal ratio ok? Thanks
RIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #33
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
After I have applied rub to my butt, I will place it in a disposable aluminum pan then cook (I smoke just about everything at 225) it that way until an internal temp of 200 is achieved, it will normally take all night. Then once I have that temp, I will pour all of the grease/liquids from the pan (there will be a bunch) and I will then wrap with foil or just place foil over the pan, I will then place in cooler until ready to pull/serve. Some folks will reapply the rubs at some point during the cook or just prior to foiling, that will be your call. Also if you use the aluminum pan you can pour out the grease and add some apple juice prior to letting rest in the cooler.
Tony, Is this ok to do when cooking on a kettle? I usually use a water pan next to the coals under the meat, would this still work?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #34
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely, Just be sure to go offset. I think that the Weber Kettle gives one of the best flavors out there. Unfortunately, they require you to add charcoal throughout the cook. I personally think that the kettle cooks the best chicken out there in competitions. I haven't prepared pork butt with mine yet, perhaps I will try it this weekend. I bought a case of pork butts a month or so ago. I paid .79 lB, not a bad deal. Hard to not use the Stumps though, love to set it and forget it.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #35
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Definitely, Just be sure to go offset. I think that the Weber Kettle gives one of the best flavors out there. Unfortunately, they require you to add charcoal throughout the cook. I personally think that the kettle cooks the best chicken out there in competitions. I haven't prepared pork butt with mine yet, perhaps I will try it this weekend. I bought a case of pork butts a month or so ago. I paid .79 lB, not a bad deal. Hard to not use the Stumps though, love to set it and forget it.

Wow that is a good deal on the butts, I paid 1.44 per lb at Sams. I'm excited to see how it turns out on the kettle, I'll let you know next week.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #36
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

This butt conversation has me regretting the decision to pass on the 12#er I saw at the big box store today. Dad gum, I'll get it next time. Fatty for the first cook though, can't wait.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #37
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Got so hungry reading...at 1:30 in the morning, that I went to a local 24 hour grocery, bought a butt, prep tonight, smoker first thing in the morning. I love this site.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #38
doctorsmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Everything I read sounded good.

Also, you can use a Water Pan While you are Smoking the Meat.
You can mix Apple Juice and/or Pineapple Juice and/or Cherry Juice together, then mix the Juice 50/50 with Pepsi Cola, Liquid Mixture.
Doing this will keep the Meat More Moist and Add a Nice Sweey Flavor to the Juicy Meat.
You can also add some of this same Liquid Mixture to the Meat Before you Foil it at 160 or 170 and put it back in the Smoker to bring it up to 180 or 190.
doctorsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
doctorsmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

One thing I failed to mention when I talked about the Juices.
Pineapple Juice is a Natural Meat Tenderizer.
Pineapple Juice is best when mixed 50/50 with Apple Juice, then add a little a little Cherry Juice. Then mix the Juice Mixture 50/50 with Pepsi Cola to make the Liquid Mixture.
doctorsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #40
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Holy Resurrected Thread, Batman!

I wonder what happened to Eric (Ciret)... He hasn't visited us in a while (last visit was in March).

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #41
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

On the UDS I rub heavy with spices (mainly salt, pepper, raw sugar and cumin) and leave unattended for 12 - 14 hours, 225 - 250 ish. I spray only if I have to pop the lid for some other reason (raise temp)

Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #42
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I tend to drain my pans of pork halfway through the cook now when possible. Results are less messy, Draining after the cook has caused slip hazzards