MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
CodyJ.
Full Fledged Farker

Default Min.Ground Clearance Trailer/firebox

I'm building my own rig and was wondering how low I should have my firebox to the road before I start getting nervous. A foot? 6 inches? I need to get it as low as possible for ease of use of the smoker
Thanks!
CodyJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

I'm sure there are some A+ builders here like TuscaloosaQ that might chip in if he sees it among others but also check out smoker builder forum, you'll def find answers to every question you have.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The height of a railroad track plus a couple inches.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Just make sure the bottom of the firebox is ABOVE the lowest point of your rims(in case you get two flat tires). We went 2" above when we built ours. You still need to be careful going over speed-bumps though.

Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

I try and never have les than 7 inches..you can put a drop down hitch that comes out of your receiver... On the tow vehicle. That will lower the front of the unit a bit and raise the back up. At the firebox

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

In addition to the risk of hitting things (like RR tracks) you need to consider approach and departure angles compared to the placement of your axle. Take a look at places you are likely to drive (driveways, parking lots, etc) and estimate slope angle vs to adjoining level roadway. For example it should be pretty rare in urban or paved reasdential areas to have more than a 12*-15* angle. Put a straight edge at the center line where your tire hits the ground and with one end sitting on te ground, elevate the other end to that same 12*-15* angle; the height above ground level where that intersects the back of your trailer or firebox gives you your minimum hright for the 12*-15* departure angle.

Maybe a more practical answer: my trailer is about 10 feet total length with the axle offset slightly to the rear and the back trailer & firebox is about 8 inches above the ground; I don't have any trouble.