MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
puff
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smoked ham ?

I was thinkin' about smokin' a spiral sliced ham. Anybody done it? I could use some ideas.
[FONT=Arial]Weber 22 in. kettle (rescued from eradication)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Weber Smokey Joe Platinum.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1 Ugly Drum Smoker[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Weber Silver gasser..:icon_blush:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]Member GLBBQA[/B] :cool:[/FONT]
puff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

A quick search here yielded a ton of results.

Heres a promising one Puff

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...uble+smoke+ham

Like your sig line Puff

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Last edited by Bill-Chicago; 02-05-2006 at 09:36 AM..
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Default have a recipe

Puff,
I havent done a spiral ham, but i usually do one or two whole, bone-in hams a year. I got this recipe from another site and used it on the last one. Turned out really good.
For the glaze:

Glazing Sauce:

½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)(dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce. Apply several times during last hour, watch carefully as can burn.\

For the injection:
Ingredients:

1 Cup of Good clean water (if your city or well water has an offensive taste, please use bottled water)

1 Cup of light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup)

1/8 Cup of Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)

2 Tbs of Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract (this is the only Butter-Pecan extract I could find) Note: I ran out of this twice in the past few months so I substituted "Blackburn's Butter Pecan" pancake syrup. Not a bad substitution. Double the amount shown here as Butter Pecan extract.

1 Tbs of Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste than store bought)

1 tsp of Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concen. used in the glaze or basting sauce)(cut this in half or use 1 Tbsp of orange juice concentrate....otherwise it may overpower the entire recipe.)

1 to 2 TBS Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run)

Directions for blending:

Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup.

Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.

Directions for use:

Wrap ham in 2 layers of plastic wrap before starting the injection process.

Using a marinade hypodermic syringe, inject at least 2 fluid ozs. Per pound of meat in a grid pattern through out the entire ham and don’t be afraid to use up to 3 ounces per pound of meat.

Continue to inject the marinade into the ham until the entire amount of marinade is injected evenly into the ham.

Cook the ham as shown in the “Double Smoked Ham” recipe. Be sure to you your favorite wood for smoke flavoring.

Do not cook the ham beyond 140° internal to prevent over cooking and drying out the ham.

kids love smoked ham or in this case, double smoked actually because the ham i used was smoked to a degree to begin with. I love making navy bean soup using leftover ham and the bone. comes out with a nice light smoky flavor.

buying all the ingredients for the injection concoction was kinda expensive but worth it if you plan on doing several hams. If you want you can skip this part and the ham will still turn out delicious.

Good luck
Mike
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Puff, I think a spiral cut ham will dry out on you in the smoker. If you do smoke one I would be sure to spray it often. Apple juice is good, pineapple juice might be better for ham.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Ok, fellas-don't laugh but I have done several this way and they come out moist and good tasting. First I coat the outside of the ham with a light brushing of honey ( makes the pineapple stick ). cut 2 pieces of cheese cloth large enough to tightly wrap around the ham. soak cheesecloth in melted butter- place the ham on first piece of cheesecloth then cover the ham with crushed pineapple-then wrap tightly with the cheesecloth. sprinkle with alittle of your favorite rub or spices-then wrap the second piece of cheesecloth tightly around the ham-use toothpicks to hold cloth in place. spray with pineapple juice about once an hour.

Make a glaze out of 1/2 cup brown sugar-1/4 cup honey-1Tbs worcestershire sauce-6oz pineapple juice- cook down til thickened alittle.

last 1/2 hour of cooking take cheesecloth off and baste with glaze several times.
remember when double smoking a ham go light on the smoke and don't cook it too long-it's already been cooked-so you're really only reheating it. doesn't need to go to 180* internal.
hope this helps

Last edited by OSD; 02-05-2006 at 04:42 AM..
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2006, 05:28 AM   #6
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

New years Eve Ham

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...y=-emy07a&Ux=0
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Neil

Puff, if you are going to smoke a spiral sliced ham, I would try the cheesecloth method mentioned above by OSD to avoid drying out the ham. Spiral sliced hams are not my ham of choice when it comes to double smoking. I always use the Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham method found in our recipie section using a whole bone in hamand don't forget to make the Sweet Kiss of Death injectable marinade.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2006, 06:45 AM   #8
Kevin

Christmas ham,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dr Chicken Ham.JPG (60.2 KB, 75 views)

Old 02-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #9
qman
Babbling Farker

A picture is indeed worth a thoudand words. What more could a guy want than a ham that looks like that. About as close to ham niverna as you can get. Who needs spiral sliced?
It ain't like these things are hard to slice or anything.