BBQ Classes..

Mad About Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
been scanning over some of the threads about dates and such. A lot of folks mention them.. My question is this: Are the weekend classes (which are taught by just about every winning bbq team) worth the trip? most are fri-sun. for about $750. We were going to Vegas for the 40th b-day but our partners in crime, the other 40 year old bday boy lost his job and the trip money is now rent. so,... do i book me a weekend class..or..? :confused:

I think you can find classes for less than $750! I took Scottie's last year for something like $500 or $550. As to whether or not it's worth the time or money - that's for you to decide. I probably wouldn't spend rent money on a class. However, if you are going to compete regularly then it's a great investment. I have won back all the money I spent on classes, and then some. The way I see it the cost of the class = the cost of a local comp. Take one comp off your list and take the class. You'll be glad you did. And remember, most of the folks you will be competing against have taken a class - even if they say they haven't ;) May as well be on an even playing field.

I tookMyron's last week, I learned a few things not sure if they will help me. All in all it was worth it to me because I wanted to learn how to cook whole hogs. From a competition stand point the class would have been way more worth it had I taken it about 3 years ago instead of now.

Nothing is a sure-thing with bbq contests, but the majority of guys who have taken my class have gone on to pay for the cost of it within their first contest or two. It's probably the same for some of the other classes out there. Just depends on what your bbq goals are as to whether or not you take one. Mine's Fri-Sat and $500.

I had been a backyard cook for many years,got the comp bug and took Myron's class and it took that backyard level up to comp level,when we got back we practiced for 8 weeks before our first comp(timing,fire control,sauces dialed in)then took RGC first time out,so yes it is very worth it IMO!

Todd From Plowboys is Coming to Windsor Ontario Feb.26-27 and the class is only $350.00 . Check it out http://canada2011.PlowboysBBQ.com . We still have room for ya. Fly in to Detroit and 20 minutes your in Windsor. Just need a passport

Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone do any classes in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area?

I had been a backyard cook for many years,got the comp bug and took Myron's class and it took that backyard level up to comp level,when we got back we practiced for 8 weeks before our first comp(timing,fire control,sauces dialed in)then took RGC first time out,so yes it is very worth it IMO!

Disclaimer *
Your results may vary :)

Going to competition
spending $1000 and getting your
behind handed to you is your other choice

Nothing is a sure-thing with bbq contests, but the majority of guys who have taken my class have gone on to pay for the cost of it within their first contest or two. It's probably the same for some of the other classes out there. Just depends on what your bbq goals are as to whether or not you take one. Mine's Fri-Sat and $500.

This is what we won on the first comp after taking Rod and Johnny's class... Now I'll be the frist to admit that it was a small, non-KCBS event, but we did win against a couple of heavy hitters...
DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

Mad about Que,
Thanks for the thread - good question. Good responses.
Jeff, you ready to sell that cart yet?

Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone do any classes in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area?

I found this on a different thread:
Originally Posted by ique
I'll be teaching a BBQ Comp class at BBQ Guru headquarters in Warminster, Pa on March 26-27!

The IQUE Competition BBQ Class
2009 World Champion
2010 NEBS Team of the Year
2009, 2010 NEBS Chicken Team of the Year
2009, 2010 Mass State Champion
2010 NY State Champion
2x Salisbury, MD Grand Champ
Over 30 KCBS Grand Championships

We will follow the exact timeline of a real KCBS contest. No additional categories or activities, 100% focus on the KCBS 4. Will also feature and demonstrate BBQ Guru products.

Start Date: March 26th 5pm
End Date: March 27th 2pm

Space Limited
Please PM or email Chris: hart2001@yahoo.com for more details

This is what we won on the first comp after taking Rod and Johnny's class... Now I'll be the frist to admit that it was a small, non-KCBS event, but we did win against a couple of heavy hitters...
DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

Damn that seems like 100 years ago dont it? I think I need to go do a dishwasher duty for some one this summer.
All I can say about the classes is that I have watched the friends of mine who took them make big strides in consistency and the three I am referring to all won their first GCs shortly afterward. I am hoping to get a class in this winter.

Disclaimer *
Your results may vary :)

Going to competition
spending $1000 and getting your
behind handed to you is your other choice

Been there, done that. Nothing like the thrill of waiting for a call when you know you cooked the best you have ever tasted then having your arse presented to you on a silver platter. I went 3 years competing going through this routine before taking Rod's class then went from one or two calls/year to, well let's just say, I made my money back and then some (no GC or RGC though). Competing in the Kansas City area is brutal where you always seem to be going head to head with quite a few of the heavy hitters every time out. I needed every advantage I could get.

A quality class is well worth your money and very advisable.

We had somebody email us the other day and question our prices (we charge $750- 2 day class ). Our response was this: think of how many THOUSANDS of dollars we spent to develop our recipes and techniques and you are getting them for a mere $750. The average KCBS contest costs us $800 to enter, the average MBN costs us $1800 (whole hog, whole shoulders, ribs)- thats $2600 in costs to cook the meats we go over and show what we have won with over the years. I know most of the KCBS only guys charge anywhere from $400 to $600- still a dang good bargain if you are a competitor.

Classes are not just recipes, they are usually fun, informative and if nothing else give you a different way of looking at things. At BBQ contests, something ALWAYS goes off plan- the more broad experience you have about the product the better chance you have to fix the problem and still win. Most of the people doing classes have had to learn to adapt to many different issues- and you will always pick up a few nuggets from them when you take a class.

Yorktown, VA has the Old School/New School class March 18/19. From Rod's website...

"Johnny Trigg of Smokin’ Triggers and Rod Gray of Pellet Envy are combining efforts to create a one of a kind competition cooking instructional event. With well over 100 championships between them, each will share every detail of their competitive cooking style, including exact recipes used in competition."

The cost on classes varies a lot, seems to run from $350-750. You will pay more of a premium for nationally famous teams, so winning local teams may be a better value.

Having been to a few classes myself, I can say that 1) The classes helped us. No GC yet, but a lot more top 10 finishes, and 2) I have seen GC winning teams taking classes too. That should tell you something.

For the poster asking about the northeast, iQue and I Smell Smoke occasionally do classes. Ploughboys/Smoke on Wheels do classes all over the country, and have been in the northeast before. Some northeast contests (Mainely, Roc City) have sometimes had classes attached to them in the past.

Classes are not just recipes, they are usually fun, informative and if nothing else give you a different way of looking at things. At BBQ contests, something ALWAYS goes off plan- the more broad experience you have about the product the better chance you have to fix the problem and still win. Most of the people doing classes have had to learn to adapt to many different issues- and you will always pick up a few nuggets from them when you take a class.

Totally agree with you. Anyone going to classes for recipes are overlooking the real value. That said, recipes are always given at mine.

I may be hanging up the classes for a while. Got other things I need to focus on for a while. Maybe in the fall. I did a half dozen people at my house a couple weekends ago. That was awesome!!! I'd do private classes when I can, but probably at my house if there was interest.

The cost on classes varies a lot, seems to run from $350-750. You will pay more of a premium for nationally famous teams, so winning local teams may be a better value.

Having been to a few classes myself, I can say that 1) The classes helped us. No GC yet, but a lot more top 10 finishes, and 2) I have seen GC winning teams taking classes too. That should tell you something.

For the poster asking about the northeast, iQue and I Smell Smoke occasionally do classes. Ploughboys/Smoke on Wheels do classes all over the country, and have been in the northeast before. Some northeast contests (Mainely, Roc City) have sometimes had classes attached to them in the past.

Smoke on Wheels is doing a class at the NBBQA conference on Saturday, March 26. Greenville, NC

Obviously, not NorthEast... but East coast. He's planning some NEBS contests again this year, so a class could get arranged very easily. Just reach out to Andy.

:boink::boink:Thats as good as I can find for reach out
Smoke on Wheels is doing a class at the NBBQA conference on Saturday, March 26. Greenville, NC

Obviously, not NorthEast... but East coast. He's planning some NEBS contests again this year, so a class could get arranged very easily. Just reach out to Andy.

Back