Self filling water pan

ComputerMike

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I've had an idea kicking around (more like rattling around) my head for some time. There should be a way to automate the filling.

My first thought was one of those self filling pet dishes.

029695242014.jpg

More just the principal of it rather than using the actual rig. I would use an upside down water cooler bottle with a stopper and tubing leading to a copper tube placed so the end is half to one quarter from the top of the water level in the pan.

rig.jpg

As the water level boils down below the end of the copper tube the water will fill until the end is once again below the surface of the water. It should be a gradual and pretty constant adding of water so temps shouldn't be too affected.

Thoughts?

Anyone tried this?

Mike

Your physics is a little off... but the idea is good.

The water pan in the smoker actually needs to be higher. The opening of the water jug needs to be below/even the level of the water. As the water evaporates, air is allowed into the bottle... water comes out... fills the pan until the levels are the same.

Few guys around here, Anchormen, I Smell Smoke... have hooked a rig like this up to their backwoods. They seem to like it.

The way you have it drawn up... that tubing will pour all the water out of the tube into the water pan. (gravity). In that pet dish... you'll notice the opening is below the level of the water in the pan.

The way you have it drawn up... that tubing will pour all the water out of the tube into the water pan. (gravity). In that pet dish... you'll notice the opening is below the level of the water in the pan.

The tubing acts as an extension of the vessel. The water could care less where the main "tank" is as long as its above the level of the pan. Its the air pressure pushing down on the surface of the water pan that keeps the water from coming down the tube. The closed vessel prevents the same force from pushing on the surface of the water in the tank. I'm pretty sure my physics are right.

Last edited:
I could be off... but I think that because the water is higher, the pressure is never going to equalize, especially since its not a closed system. We're talking about the same thing in any case.

The BWS version works with a water pan that has a drain on the bottom... that runs to a ball valve. You add some harware, and you make a 'T' at the value... with one of the open ends facing upwards. The water cooler jug sits on there... and as the pan empties... the water refills.

How about jury-rigging a gas tank float to fill the bowl when the water drops to a preset level?
I haven't given this any thought, it just came to me, but I bet a brother with mechanical abilities could come up with something.:roll:

We used to offer that as an option on our large cooker. We used a 5 gallon Jerry Can and steel pipe plumbing. It is worthless in winter conditions in our area (freezing) . They are still installed on my dual axel personal smoker, but we don't ever use it.

Spice

OKay

The float thing may work. I replaced a toilet recently with the old floatee thing to shut it off when gets to a specific level. Can you still buy a new system like that. Just my 2 cents...

Your all wrong. You need to put sand, brick, or rock into that 'water' pan, then wrap it all with foil. That seems to work real good. :-D

Seems to be the trend.:roll:

Hmmmmmmm!! Automatic pebble feed or maybe an hour glass designed automatic sand feed system!!:wink:

Sand it, I took a bbq class here in k.c and the instructor to me just to sand my wsm, I never looked back, could not tell a difference between using water (hence opening it up and just added a 1/2 hour) and sand

I suppose it could be really useful and beneficial if your cooker boils dry alot. but it seems a little overengineered for my needs.

I have a WSM w/ a 2 gallon Brinkmann pan, and I've only boiled dry once in really arid conditions.

Back