how much salt in chili?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
Recipe says salt "to taste". It's a large crock pot, batch is 3-4 lbs of meat. Any general rule of thumb for this?

Thanks.

Simple question but no simple answer. Is everything 100% fresh products no processed food or is some from a can? Stock-Tomato or Coffee based? Basically any cans of anything? Usually a can or wrapper product has salt msg or both. Those cases not much if any salt at all added. Did you use a chili kit or fresh spices. Toppings? More salt. Crackers or pork skins or Fritos more salt. Can of beans? More salt.

To taste.

Best answer I can give you is, it depends. 9/10 times I don’t add additional salt.

Last edited:
1 teaspoon at first, then taste towards the end. Remember, you can always add more salt at the table.

Good advice, thanks. The meat gets salted when I brown it. Yeah, there's a mix of canned stuff as well as fresh. I'll salt my sample bowl and scale up from there if needed.

1 TSP in the pot. Thanks.

I put Cavender's on the meat when browning it, and add a can of Consommé later. Never need any additional salt.

I lightly salt the veggies in the beginning and like cowgirl adjust at the end. The longer you simmer the more concentrated the salt taste becomes.

Just made a 5# batch on Friday. No salt added.
Plenty of salt for me in the canned goods.
Used coarse ground chuck and Big Ron's Mix.
Best I have ever made.

I start with no salt tomatoes, no salt beans, and no salt chili powder. Otherwise, I'd add no salt without tasting. The pre-mixed packages may already have salt.

I don't add very much, but I'm constantly tasting it. I tend to under-salt most of my food because what I consider the right amount might be too much for someone else. I let them add more at the table if they want it.

I never add salt when making chili unless I'm following a specific recipe. My family knows where the salt shaker is but cooking for others is impossible to know how they like it. Once chili is done I salt to my taste. Kind of like adding cheese, sour cream, etc.

Back