Getting an accurate temp in the drum smoker

M

mbuck

any advice guys? currently, i have the flat top that came on the can, and I mounted a home depot grill thermometer on the top.

i also mounted the same kind of thermometer at grate level. the top thermometer always runs 25-50 degrees warmer than the side temp, though the discrepancy gets smaller as the temperatures get hotter.

how to I know the "right" temp? and is there better thermometers for the job?

I use a Traeger pit therm, and an et-73 to monitor my grate temp. The grate temp will run around 50 degrees hotter than the pit therm, at least in mine, and up to 70 degrees in the first hour or so.

The times that I don't hook up the et-73, I'll just run at around 180 on the pit therm.

tritip0045899077.jpg

tritip0066280619.jpg

I have a cheap one from walmart on mine, never look at it. I suggest you get a maverick et-73, Im watching my UDS temp as we "speak". Cant beat cordless :clap2:

if your therm. mounted on the lid is in the center, thats prolly more accurate than the side mounted therm. assuming your side mounted therm has a standard 3/4" probe. The differences you have are normal.

The temp is always higher at the top...hot air rises, IMHO

I drill a hole through one of the bolts that supports my grate and put a 12" deep fryer thermometer through that. It sets the probe tip just under your cooking surface in the middle. Cheap way to go. Last weekend I had three butts on the bottom and three butts on top. I put the thermometer under the bottom grate and in the vent holes in the lid (kettle lid). Both stayed within 5 degrees of each other.

Try swapping them if they are the same. That may give you some indication of accuracy. I clean the coating off mine every once in a while. All that said, the Maverick is good advice. I'm waiting for Santa to bring me one...the duel probe type.

need to know the position and length of the probes.... that sounds dirty.

any advice guys? currently, i have the flat top that came on the can, and I mounted a home depot grill thermometer on the top.

i also mounted the same kind of thermometer at grate level. the top thermometer always runs 25-50 degrees warmer than the side temp, though the discrepancy gets smaller as the temperatures get hotter.

how to I know the "right" temp? and is there better thermometers for the job?

That doesn't sound as dirty as the post above you thats planning on "D.P." ing his dinner.

I also use 12" turkey fryer therms at grate level. That's where i'm cooking, so that's all that I'm really concerned about. Like Keale said; hot air rises. Every vertical smoker will have some variance from bottom to top.

I had the same concerns when I did my first seasoning on my UDS. I was told that "you are never going to get the same readings thru-out the UDS even when two thermometers are in close proximity to one another. Go with the 12 inch deep fryer thermometer right below grate level, test it with boiling water, stick it in there and trust it."

That's what I did. :-D

I put a thermometer in the top of my barrel and whatever temp it reads I know the grate temp is 50* hotter. You can see the therm opening on front of the lid in the pic of my new Who Dat Saints barrel:becky:

saintsbarrel.jpg

thanks for all the responses guys.. gives me confidence in my process.. knowing the top thermometer runs nearly 50 degrees hotter than the side kept me from freaking out last week when smoking a grate full of ribs, and the top was only reading 200, while the side was reading 180. figured the top was getting partially shielded by all the meat.

great ideas for the deep fryer thermometer, and i will definitely be looking at a remote thermometer.. beats having to go out and check temps every 1/2 - 1 hour when its raining...

Back