MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

How do you make the masa concoction? There is lard and ???? Thanks. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

6 cups of masa harina to make a dozen tamales??? Does this sound right????
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
6 cups of masa harina to make a dozen tamales??? Does this sound right????
use maseca brand masa if possible. there are no real directions for how much for tamales but a simple rule is- around 8 cups dry masa mix for 4 doz. tamales. it's not a set measurement for this- use 2 cups corn oil & 5 cups of juice or base or both divided.
start off w/ a less dry(drier) mix-the masa will suck up moisture & get thicker before your eyes.you want a creamy peanut butter consistency when done.

i usually add a tbsp ea. comino,garlic & onion pwdrs,thyme,& black pepper.
if you use a base(chix,beef,pork)depending on what you're doing- no salt is needed.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

What he^^^ said. I am fortunate that I can also get tamale masa that is freshly made locally, which is great. But Maseca is excellent. You can use lard, softened, and it makes a tasty tamale mix, but, it is 2 cups of lard you are adding.

Oh, and let's not forget if you can get some sweet corn, making sweet corn and herb tamales, maybe with some cheese in the middle, is excellent eating also.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
use maseca brand masa if possible. there are no real directions for how much for tamales but a simple rule is- around 8 cups dry masa mix for 4 doz. tamales. it's not a set measurement for this- use 2 cups corn oil & 5 cups of juice or base or both divided.
start off w/ a less dry(drier) mix-the masa will suck up moisture & get thicker before your eyes.you want a creamy peanut butter consistency when done.

i usually add a tbsp ea. comino,garlic & onion pwdrs,thyme,& black pepper.
if you use a base(chix,beef,pork)depending on what you're doing- no salt is needed.
I bought lard. Should I use a little less oil and add some in?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

i have found that lard tastes better in the masa than oil (duh...).

agree that you need to keep the consistency a little loose as it gets difficult to work with when too thick and doesn't steam as well either.

i think i will have to do the new years day tamale fest as well.... what a great idea!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

for the best tasting masa/tamales use "manteca de puerco" instead of oil or lard. It is pork fat that has been heated to liquid, then cooled to solid state.
It will take your tamales to a whole new level.

it is pretty readily availible at a mexican market, if you have them around
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a pictorial of me making some in the summer.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=0d3b4d88cf

you shouldn't have to be a facebook member to see the pics

I have no hispanic heritage, but have lived in Texas all my life. About 8 years ago, I decided I would learn to make them. I read some books and did a lot of experimenting. I believe I have come up with the best tamale recipe ever.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif View Post
911.....Must fix imediatly. Go to a bus stop or outside a factory and find the Mexican women holding shopping bags full of tamales. Get a dozen or more. You will be hooked.

LOL, tad short on the Mexican workers other than outside of a crummy restaurant here

Old 12-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
chambersuac

This thread really bites! I have been craving tamales since Jeanie made some weeks ago - now I am REALLY craving them. Can't wait to go to S. TX next month - hopefully my in-laws will have put some in the freezer for me. Yes, I know that's not as good as fresh, but seeing as how there is nowhere around here to get any tamales, they'll do.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
How do you make the masa concoction? There is lard and ???? Thanks. Scott
10 ounces (1 1/3 cups) rich-tasting pork lard, slightly softened but not at all runny
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 1/2 cups dried masa harina for tamales mixed with 2 1/4 cups hot water
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the lard or shortening with 2 teaspoons salt and the baking powder until light in texture, about 1 minute. Continue beating as you add the masa (fresh or reconstituted) in three additions. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add 1 cup of the broth. Continue beating for another minute or so, until a 1/2-teaspoon dollop of the batter floats in a cup of cold water (if it floats you can be sure the tamales will be tender and light). Beat in enough additional broth to give the mixture the consistency of soft (not runny) cake batter; it should hold its shape in a spoon. Taste the batter and season with additional salt if you think necessary.
For the lightest textured tamales, refrigerate the batter for an hour or so, then rebeat, adding enough additional broth or water to bring the mixture to the soft consistency it had before.

This is the best masa recipe i know. This is from Rick Bayless book. It will make about 3 doz or so tamales.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #27
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

The masa I used said on the package it was for tamales, I used chix broth, shortning, and I added some of the pasilla sauce I made. I still got some left in the freezer.

Last edited by Paulmark; 12-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: added
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #28
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Got the masa mixed up as well as two fillings: Carnitas, poblano and salsa verde in one batch and chopped brisket, pureed chipotle and grated queso de freir in the others. I got some anchiotina (annatto colored lard) to add to the masa for the beef ones so I can tell them apart. So far so good!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.tamaletrail.com/
The best Tamales you will ever have. There is a recipe section but you will probably want to " fiddle wit it " to make it your own. But do the recipe as is first.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
NorthwestBBQ

Great post and pics! Thanks for all the work.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote