Chinese Flavored Spare Ribs (pr0n)

BobM

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A couple of week ago, I made Chinese flavored spare ribs.

I St. Louis trimmed two full spare rib racks. I marinated them overnight in a mixture of hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, low sodium soy sauce, cream sherry, water, brown sugar and Chinese five spice.
I cooked them on my 22 1/2" WSM, at 235F, unfoiled for about 2 1/2 hours, then foiled them for about another 2 1/2 hours.
I then glazed them with a mixture of cream sherry, hoisin sauce and honey.

My daughter Delia made sausage bread in her oven (sorry, no BBQ), from pizza dough (bought at my local pizza joint), the meat from sweet Italian sausages and mozzarella cheese.

I grilled some red bell peppers on my S-330. My wife jars them with olive oil, fresh chopped garlic and basil.

I was conservative with the Chinese ingredients, because I was afraid they would be over powering. The taste was good, but weak. Next time I'm going to use more hoisin, oyster sauce, etc and no water.

Overall it was a success and a learning experience.

On the WSM.
9cho.jpg

Ready to be foiled.
3t2j.jpg

Glazed up.
72gx.jpg

Rack 1 done.
x5w6.jpg

Rack 1 cut up.
93d9.jpg

Rack 2 done.
ueth.jpg

Rack 2 cut up.
u60l.jpg

Pot of ribs.
dp7s.jpg

Red peppers on the S-330.
g3op.jpg

Red peppers cooking.
vsms.jpg

Bowl of red peppers.
11c3.jpg

Sausage bread.
9zub.jpg

Dessert of the day.
uex0.jpg

Beer o' the day.
i2frk.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Needs 5 spice and tofu and green leaves!:thumb:

Great lookin ribs, and that does sound quite tasty.

Also glad to see the pot back in play,the bowl on your last cook threw me off :laugh:

They look great. If you have a World Market or an oriental grocery nearby, you can find prepared pouches of char siu marinade. I've used several brands from WM and have been pleased with the results.

Back