MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Default Need help making my ribs pretty

When making porcine spare ribs, I can make them tasty and tender, but they seem to always come out ugly compared to the ones I see on BBQ Pitmasters.

What makes them ugly:

1.)When the meat pulls back from the end of the bones each rib bone pulls back a different amount. This makes the length of bone sticking out uneven along the rack.

2.) The meat on top of the rib bone cracks and lifts away from the meat between the bones.

3.) There is a little ball of bone on the end of the rib opposite the side where the meat pulls away from the end of the bone.

4.) I get spots where I have a nice deep Mahogany brown, but there are also nasty black spots on the rib also.

Any help with these issues will be appreciated

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

some of this can't be helped and has as much to do with getting a good rack as anything else.

1. on pullback, one is to make sure you have given the meat an even trim to a St. Louis Spare cut. This also takes care of that little ball of meat on the end. A good trim removed the small bones at the thick end of the rib.

2. The color and meat cracking is affected by wrapping. Most comp cooks will wrap when they see the color they want, from there, they are careful not to heat the ribs in such a way as to increase color. I find I can get a nice color, cooking even at 280F or so, by wrapping in paper for foil at a point just before I think it is mahogany. It will darken a bit in the wrapping.

3. Remember that some of these guys will turn the ribs, not flip, but, rotate end for end, to get even heat. Many others cook multiple racks and are presenting the best rack only.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Trim off the knuckles during the prep. Pull back is like a Smoke ring: it don't do a thing for flavor I rarely get much pull back. The black is sugar scorch, Replace the sugar in your rub with splenda. or eliminate it completely. There will be some one telling you to foil when your happy with the color. I don't use foil, I cook at 275-300 and these work for me, YMMV

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

also the little black spots might be from blood dripping from the racks above..just my 1 cents

Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Post a pic, your ugly may not be our ugly.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
TomB
Full Fledged Farker

What is your process? Good ideas above. The cracking could be from overcooking and the dark spots from oversmoke.
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Mini-WSM
Weber Genesis gas grill
Smokey Mountain gas smoker
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote