Hello from North Alabama

SonVolt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Howdy! I'm a member over at the EggHeadForum that's suffering a bit of separation anxiety after parting with my stick burner. Looking for a new pit and thought I'd join the forum and say hi. Went from a homemade 250 gallon water smoker that made the best que of my life to a BGE XL. Love the egg for everything but smoking. Ready to buy another pit.

PFiFSdUl.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I’ll be down in Alabama for a bit sometime next month. On my drive down, I’ll keep “both feet on the floor two hands on the wheel...”

SonVolt, do you have any recommendations for decent BBQ in the Florence area. I’ll be staying at Pickwick Landing State Park, in Tennessee, camping with my son. We will be going over near Florence to ride a couple of rail trail bike paths, and we may spend a day in the Muscle Shoals area as well.

SonVolt, do you have any recommendations for decent BBQ in the Florence area. I’ll be staying at Pickwick Landing State Park, in Tennessee, camping with my son. We will be going over near Florence to ride a couple of rail trail bike paths, and we may spend a day in the Muscle Shoals area as well.

I'm really not all the familiar with the Florence area honestly, I spend a lot of time in every other direction - from Nashville, to Chattanooga to Birmingham, but rarely make my way West unless I'm headed to Memphis.

With that said, the best BBQ I've found somewhat near Florence (20 miles East maybe?) is in Decatur AL. Little place called Scruggs. They use real wood brick smokers, not gas ovens like 99% of the joints around here.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/scruggs-bbq-decatur

There's a really amazing Texas-style BBQ joint called Chuckwagon that's definitely a destination place, but it's in Huntsville which is probably further than you're wanting to drive.

Welcome SonVolt! I'm originally from an area just East of you in the Skyline / Hytop area in the mountains.

+1 for Scruggs in Decatur, they do it right really good Q to be had there!

. There's a really amazing Texas-style BBQ joint called Chuckwagon that's definitely a destination place, but it's in Huntsville which is probably further than you're wanting to drive.

Thanks for the information. I was actually thinking about coming in from this direction and camping a couple of days at Monte Sano State Park. That way I could take my son to visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center and the North Alabama Rail Road Museum. This just might seal the deal on that itinerary!

Thanks for the information. I was actually thinking about coming in from this direction and camping a couple of days at Monte Sano State Park. That way I could take my son to visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center and the North Alabama Rail Road Museum. This just might seal the deal on that itinerary!

Dang! The Chuckwagon location I love just closed up due to issues with the building owner. The place always had a line a mile long. I think they've got a 2nd location in a more generic strip mall, but I don't know how it compares to the original spot.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Back