Judge these boxes and what do you think is better looking

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here are a few turnins from some comps. Let me know what you guys think. I see some minor garnish problems. But let me know what you would score these boxes.

Last edited:
I'm not a judge but I would go 8 on box 1 and 6 on box 2.

i dont see 6 pieces in box one. Box 2 looks a little dry.

i dont see 6 pieces in box one. Box 2 looks a little dry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but KCBS judging criteria doesnt have anything to do with how many pieces you can see does it? I truly dont know. I thought it was just to judge the appearance of what you CAN see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but KCBS judging criteria doesnt have anything to do with how many pieces you can see does it? I truly dont know. I thought it was just to judge the appearance of what you CAN see.

I've heard reps instructing judges that there must be six VISIBLE pieces in the box or the box gets an appearance score of 1. This is new starting this year. See 2008 KCBS Rules, #12:

12. Each contestant must submit at least six (6) separated and
identifiable (visible) portions of meat in a container.
Note the word "visible" has been added. Don't take chances - make sure you can see at least the ends of six ribs in the box.

I've heard reps instructing judges that there must be six VISIBLE pieces in the box or the box gets an appearance score of 1. This is new starting this year. See 2008 KCBS Rules, #12:

12. Each contestant must submit at least six (6) separated and
identifiable (visible) portions of meat in a container.
Note the word "visible" has been added. Don't take chances - make sure you can see at least the ends of six ribs in the box.

Thank you very much. This is really good to know.

Sorry didnt comment about the boxes before. box one looks better to me I would say 8.

Box two does look a little dry. I would say 7. Are they the same ribs in both boxes?

Overall, I think its good, but where are all here to get better so, here is my 'critical' analysis.... I'm not this particular when I judge, but there probably are some judges out there that are:

Box 1 - my score 7:
I'm only seeing 5 ribs, even if there are more buried underneath, I would strive to have at least six 'identifieable' portions. The rib in the front is buried in garnish, I would bring it closer to the top, maybe put it on its side so the judges can see the meat. The ribs aren't centered in the box (shifted to the right a bit), and there is a gap in the garnish in the back of the box. The color of the ribs is good in the middle, but the ends look a little burnt. I would strive for a more consistent color along the entire rib.

Box 2/3 - Score 7.5-8
Lack of glaze makes them look dry. A lot of people (myself included) like to eat dry ribs, but I don't think they look as good in presentation. Strive for a smooth appearance, the surface looks crusty and splotchy. The alignment is off on this one too (shifted to the right) and there is a gap in the garnish in the front right.

That being said... i'd eat them!

-Nelson

The rule was six IDENTIFIABLE pieces. I think they changed the wording to VISIBLE.

First box-? would have to see if I saw at least six when presented by table captain, if so it looks like you took very little time thinking of presentation. One question, are you misting or mopping? Maybe that's a glaze with some kind of seeds? Whatever it is, it detracts from meat appearance, very uneven. Box two- better, but more time spent, better results gained. Great turn-in boxes almost look plastic or so uniform it just looks amazing. The kind that when you see, you have to have, period. That is one thing the top teams share is fantastic presentation. All that said, box one-5 , box two-6- maybe 5. Work on uniformity and meat first impression. I usually have minimum 25 to 30 minutes time in my boxes, and could spend more. But when done, the meat is presented on a putting green bed, glistening, saying pick me. Good luck, Steve.

The six pieces deal was discussed at Princeton by one of the teams and they recently got nailed with not having 6 visible pieces.Cost them plenty.

I thought box one looked a lot better then box two. How much can you do with presentation if you are not allowed to layout in indentfiable ways. I can think of a lot of great ways to lay the ribs out, but I always thought you were very limited. There were from the same cook, two different racks, one glazed and one dry. I did use herbs in my rubs but have recently learned a huge listen, less is more. Never give them something they might not like. Stick to the basics and you will find better scores. Thanks for everyones input, now lets see some nice presented boxes, show me how to do this. I am a loser!!!! LOL

the ribs themselves in pic #1 look better than pic #2, but i like the presentation in pic #2 better...

I have always overlapped 4 over 4 or 5 over 5 and never had a problem with the 6 visable pieces. Is this something I should change?

Once upon a time Rich Decker gave me a piece of advice that I have never forgotten and has served me well: "Fill the Damn Box!"

Now these boxes show too much green cuz they need more ribs to fill them. I submit 9 or 10 clearly identifiable ribs and it seems to work for me. But then again, what do I know? (Answer: not much.)

Back