MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Default Buying Some Rub .. need a little advice

Alright Brethren, I have been on this site for almost 3 months and I have heard a lot about this Yardbird seasoning and how good it is.

I must try it now, cant resist any longer.

I was given this link in another thread and there is a lot of stuff on this site I am interested in. A few names that I have heard here also.

Then I noticed that the shipping was fedex ground and I know that Fedex shipping can be pricey. Though ground is cheaper than express. I would assume with the cost of shipping to be in the range of 7-10 bucks, I thought I might as well buy a few more seasonings/ rubs while I'm at it.

I need some recommendations from fellow Brethren that have tried and liked some of these rubs. I cook mostly what everyone else cooks and heat doesnt bother me.

I would truly appreciate any responses..

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I am a big fan of Todd's Yardbird, I have been using it for a little while now and it is my go to spice at home and comps. In fact, we just took 1st in pork (our first 1st place in a KCBS event) at the KCBS event in Taylor AZ using Yardbird as our rub and finished 10th overall. We now have 7 events under our belts. Todd was nice enough to post our picture on his website www.Plowboysbbq.com with the story.

I order it at 5 or 10 lbs at a time, so I contact Todd directly. I am waiting for the brisket rub to come in. I can not wait. He makes really good stuff.

I also use some of D dogs rubs for steaks at home. I like the maple, but the original and Apple are good too. D Dog can be found in the Brethern Ventures, as well as Todd under Plowboys.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

D-Dog's are good, the HomeBBQ rubs are good and the Dizzy Pig rubs are good.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Alright Brethren, I have been on this site for almost 3 months and I have heard a lot about this Yardbird seasoning and how good it is.

I must try it now, cant resist any longer.

I was given this link in another thread and there is a lot of stuff on this site I am interested in. A few names that I have heard here also.

Then I noticed that the shipping was fedex ground and I know that Fedex shipping can be pricey. Though ground is cheaper than express. I would assume with the cost of shipping to be in the range of 7-10 bucks, I thought I might as well buy a few more seasonings/ rubs while I'm at it.

I need some recommendations from fellow Brethren that have tried and liked some of these rubs. I cook mostly what everyone else cooks and heat doesnt bother me.

I would truly appreciate any responses..

Why not make or steal your own? I know this is gonna anger the "rub Gurus" but when you start buying rubs you will never learn what spices do.

You see what your asking these guys to do is SUBJECTIVELY give you their opinion of what appeals to their palate. Which makes even less since than figuring that out for yourself. Finding a recipe online or on here and trying it accomplishes the same thing with a lot less money and a lot less rubs you don't like sitting round and going bad.

Heck I think I screwed up and posted my Butt Glitter on here in a weak moment. LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Brother Bacon - Go to Brethren Sales & Ventures - Find Plowboys - order. Or find any post by Plowboy (Todd) - click - send a PM. Todd will get back to ya.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Why not make or steal your own? I know this is gonna anger the "rub Gurus" but when you start buying rubs you will never learn what spices do.

I gotcha Funk brother, but I am very interested in the Yardbird. I make my own rib rubs and everything I cook is from scratch. True home cookin'. So I do understand the concept of making your own. I have my spices sent in bulk from Buckhorn Spices in my hometown of Pine Bluff. I have a lot.

But one thing I have learned. If you do not eat any other food besides your own, ( restaurants, other peoples food period) your desire for new will dwindle and you will be basically cooking the same way with the same ole spices. Trying different things is a break from the norm and also an inspiration.

I also would be supporting a fellow Brother on this site so cost is not that big of a deal.

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I gotcha Funk brother, but I am very interested in the Yardbird. I make my own rib rubs and everything I cook is from scratch. True home cookin'. So I do understand the concept of making your own. I have my spices sent in bulk from Buckhorn Spices in my hometown of Pine Bluff. I have a lot.

But one thing I have learned. If you do not eat any other food besides your own, ( restaurants, other peoples food period) your desire for new will dwindle and you will be basically cooking the same way with the same ole spices. Trying different things is a break from the norm and also an inspiration.

I also would be supporting a fellow Brother on this site so cost is not that big of a deal.
Then it sound like your making a sound decision. Hell for 12 years I ground my own spice, even got to where I would roll the peppercorns with a roller to get the frit just right.

Then one day someone passed me Montreal Steal seasoning and damn if it was not to the "T" LOL

But discovering what blend of spices gets you the crispiest bbq chick skin (technique has something to do with it too) is serendipity

Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I here this is a hot new place to buy rubs.
http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I here this is a hot new place to buy rubs.
http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/
And they carry Plowboys!!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

HeadCountry is good also....
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama and Hog Waller are pretty good too.

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Plowboys rocks! I just bought a pretty large supply.....
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
Smokinrubcom
Full Fledged Farker

You can purchase BBQ rub and steak seasoning from my website - www.smokinrub.com. Have been in business for a month or so and have already sold several bottles of each.

Mike Whisante

Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I have a different take on this statement.

First, while I was searching for great Q and learning how to make it better at home via all the fourms, I began to realize that I could produce a better product than most resturants. So then I started searching for the best rubs and techniques that I liked.

I have begun to narrow the field down on the flavor profile issue. I want and desire to reach a plateu of consistency. This means that I want to be using the same rub and technique all the time so that my BBQ is easily recognizalbe by the folks I am feeding.

There is nothing wrong with trying different products or resturants. Nothing at all. I do the same from time to time, but when it comes to serious Q'ng, I want my Q to be the same every time.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Slabs, Plowboy's, Smokin Guns, Head Country,and one of my longtime favorites,Obie-Cue from Texas. All are exellent products with great people behind them. Call any of them and you'll be happy. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rub