Opinions on new grill

Jetpilot

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m in the market for a new grill. Currently using a beat up 20 year old Hasty Bake. I’m considering an M1 for versatility (I can use for smaller smokes) but main function will be grilling.

So I’m looking for opinions on the M1 plus any suggestions you guys might have on an alternate grill. I’m not really interested in a kettle or ceramic cooker.

Thanks!

I love my 22" Weber Kettle. Well worth its money. I know a lot of people use it for smoking too, but I just use it for grilling.

I would say a BGE/kamado or a 22/26" Weber. I personally love my 22" Weber but the BGE/Kamado has a little more versatility IMO.

For price and versatility check out the Cajun Grill Preaux 36-Inch Built-In Stainless Steel Charcoal Grill. They have a local cooking show and I've seen them cook everything from pizza to brisket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsOlEUP0YA

I edited to give the mfg's website. Also you have to purchase the dolly separately.

https://www.cajungrill.com/product-category/cajun-preaux-series/

The original style also cooks about the same except it has only one fire basket
https://www.cajungrill.com/product/super-cajun-grill/

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I’m in the market for a new grill. Currently using a beat up 20 year old Hasty Bake. I’m considering an M1 for versatility (I can use for smaller smokes) but main function will be grilling.

So I’m looking for opinions on the M1 plus any suggestions you guys might have on an alternate grill. I’m not really interested in a kettle or ceramic cooker.

Thanks!

Out of all the grills mentioned, none of them can do everything the M1 can do. The new model M1 with the thermal insulated firebox and new stack design is the best performing all in one cooker on the planet. I will put it up against anything. Just having the option to stick burn when you feel like it or use as a charcoal smoker makes smoking enjoyable. No reason to be handcuffed to either/or. I see you are in Oklahoma. If you would like to make the drive to Dallas I would be happy to show you an M1 in our showroom and if we have one available to cook on you are welcome to see it in action.

If grilling is your only intention, then I would suggest the M16 over the PK360. 12 gauge 316 stainless steel, comes with Grill Grates or optional 1/4" stainless grates, and made in Texas! (not China)

We are currently shooting a few new M1 and M16 videos with Pancho&Lefty Steaks and Texas BBQ Trail recently filmed some cooking videos on both as well.

We have our Memorial Day Sale going on this weekend! FREE SHIPPING on ALL M Grills products!

Guru has a ceramic grill called a Monolith Don't know if they sell it other than their PA shop

Those mgrills look like well made cookers. Looking at their website, I’m surprised they don’t get mentioned around here more.

The 2448 gator pit a member on here got recently looks pretty sweet and versatile, too.

Assassin grills get a lot of talk on here and are at a lower price point.

The best part and the worst part is that there are so many really good options out there. Decisions, decisions. Good luck!

Curious, why are you not interested in a Kettle?
I love my Kettles. In fact, just last week I cured some bacon and used the Kettle to smoke it at 250 for a couple hours. 4 hrs later, fired it up good and hot and cooked some steak tips. It's a pretty versatile grill.

Out of all the grills mentioned, none of them can do everything the M1 can do. The new model M1 with the thermal insulated firebox and new stack design is the best performing all in one cooker on the planet. I will put it up against anything. Just having the option to stick burn when you feel like it or use as a charcoal smoker makes smoking enjoyable. No reason to be handcuffed to either/or. I see you are in Oklahoma. If you would like to make the drive to Dallas I would be happy to show you an M1 in our showroom and if we have one available to cook on you are welcome to see it in action.

If grilling is your only intention, then I would suggest the M16 over the PK360. 12 gauge 316 stainless steel, comes with Grill Grates or optional 1/4" stainless grates, and made in Texas! (not China)

We are currently shooting a few new M1 and M16 videos with Pancho&Lefty Steaks and Texas BBQ Trail recently filmed some cooking videos on both as well.

We have our Memorial Day Sale going on this weekend! FREE SHIPPING on ALL M Grills products!

I think I might hate you. Looks like a short trip to Dallas is in my future: even the wife is on board with this!

Curious, why are you not interested in a Kettle?
I love my Kettles. In fact, just last week I cured some bacon and used the Kettle to smoke it at 250 for a couple hours. 4 hrs later, fired it up good and hot and cooked some steak tips. It's a pretty versatile grill.

Probably a snob and a kettle is for plebs.

What’s your hasty bake look like now? I’m looking for one. Also they just released a new model they are testing called the 357. Same size as the gourmet but a different hood, insulated, different intake and exhaust as well.

Buy Oklahoma made not Texass made!

Travis where are these videos going to be available?

Back