Funny conversation with the pellet grill salesman at Costco

ncmoose

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Trips to Costco are always fun. I always get (as I'm sure other brethren do) comments. If it's a brisket--"what do you do with a big hunk of meat like that?" or bunches of ribs "what time do I show up to your place?"

Today, I was making my way out with 12 racks of ribs that I'm doing for the graduation party of a friend's daughter. To my right, a woman makes some comment similar to above. To my left is the guy selling what I think was a pellet grill (Maybe Traeger, I didn't really look.) I don't think he was one of their top sales guys. He looked at my ribs and said

"You got one of these at home?"

Me: No, I have a stick burner.

Salesguy: (looking confused) "I don't know what that is."

Me: An offset smoker.

Salesguy: (Still looking confused) "Huh?"

Me: It burns wood....

You know, like Hickory and such.

(Still confused look)

An old fashioned smoker.

Salesguy: "Oh, get one of these, it's easier"

Me: Yeah, I know, I just like playing with fire. Thanks.

LOL! Those guys are funny! A few years ago I walked by and actually heard him asking a prospective buyer if they’d ever had a steak from Ruths Chris Steakhouse. He proceeded to tell them that this “grill” would blow RC out of the water. 400°ish sear vs 1500°... the stuff they’ll say to make a sale.

same morons reps at Home Depot and at Barrett Jackson this year

I guess the intended customer is not a convert from another mode of smoking but rather selling someone unfamiliar with the options who just wants smoked meat. I should have told him I use a Shirley and gotten the blank look again.

That Costco Traeger salesguy was the one who hooked me. $299 with rub and a cover and I was smoking salmon and wings that night. It was my bridge drug into the bbq world and I’m thankful I bit that day.

Also glad I learned better and heaved that piece of junk off my deck eventually.

Edit With photos:
gp1VSiNl.jpg

i6ZiIDCl.jpg

Last edited:
Bbq snobbery is high in this thread....

I didn't intend any snobbery. I believe whatever gets you cooking is cool. I just found it funny that a guy selling a product with such little knowledge of bbq and, unfortunately for him, not a whole lot of charisma to do it.

My son got a grilla pellet grill for xmas. he's made some good tasting protein on it and it's very easy to use. if he has to work late his wife can get the meat going and it turns out great. same thing if he's in the middle of a weekend project. you just turn it on and set the temp. i don't mind putzing with wood & briquettes but it takes a lil time and it's not always convenient. if i wasn't retired i would probably get one too.

Most likely, those clue-less smoker salesmen will be selling used cars tomorrow, and life insurance policies next week. Starting out on smokers is the first step in training plan for career salesmen.

Guy has got to make living. Nothing wrong with that. When you need a job you take a job.
I hope you guys run into this one Traeger rep that I know. He would school you guys lol. Mind he has been cooking bbq longer than he has been a rep. Long time Traeger supporter and he tends to win when he competes.
When you see a rep that doesn't know what they are talking about send them here to get an education. I never fault someone for trying to make an honest living, even if they are screwing up. At least they are willing to put in an honest days work.

Back