MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
frayedend
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
Care to share your solution? I'm literally one town away from you so it could very well influence my next cooker purchase.

Cheers!
I mentioned a few posts up that I posted in Facebook yardsale sites. A guy messaged me and has 2 year seasoned split oak. He's charging me 2.25 per cubic foot. I'm going to buy a bit this Saturday. He's just a guy with some extra wood. So I don't know that he will be an ongoing source. I only cook every few weeks. I'll see what he has and update you after Saturday if it's something that could help out others.
frayedend is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
-Chris-
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

These guys almost always have a small pile of hickory for sale. Pretty cheap too.

Brown & Parsons Earth Products LLC
No reviews · Landscaping supply store
Chelmsford, MA
(97 256-7551

Brown & Parsons Earth Products LLC

Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #18
cspence
Got Wood.

These guys took care of me http://www.woodfellasct.com/index.html ... bought 1/4 cord Hickory, 1/4 cord Cherry and 1/4 cord Red Oak...Think I paid $220 or so last year...little pricey, but not bad for getting the mix. They have apple and pretty much any other variety you could want. Doubt they would deliver to MA, but you never know....or if you have your own means of picking up....

I also scooped up some sugar maple off craigslist and apple from a neighbor that had some trees come down (free)....doesn't help you, but keep poking on craigslist, lots of free wood around.

If you want to take a ride...Belltown Orchards in Glastonbury CT also has racks of fruit wood for sale (all the time)...$20 per rack, (2) is about enough to fill up a 6ft tacoma bed.

Hope this helps!
cspence is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
frayedend
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
Care to share your solution? I'm literally one town away from you so it could very well influence my next cooker purchase.

Cheers!
Yeah, so this was just an old guy that uses wood to heat his garage when he works on cars. He just cut a bunch of fresh stuff and wanted to get rid of some of his 2 year old stuff. I pretty much took all he had to get rid of. So not an ongoing source.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #20
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
If there is an orchard around you go there
There are also mojobricks
I love mojobricks

Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #21
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

" Have Chainsaw, will travel".
You mean to tell me you can't find wood up
in your area?
Isn't that like Eskimoes buying Ice??"
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #22
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

But.....you guys have like actual tree's up there. How is this a problem....

Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

Do you have any idea how many tree huggers we have up here?!?!?! We damn near have to wait until Mother Nature takes the tree down for us first!!
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #24
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Your best bet is to find a local firewood guy and talk to him. Tell him how much you're looking for, what you're looking for etc and if he's a good firewood guy, he'll help you out. Just expect to pay market prices for seasoned wood which is about $250 per cord. Once you get a relationship established then you can ask for just oak, hickory or apple and i'm sure they guy will keep his eyes open for a certain type of wood and get you what you want. There are a lot of firewood companies out by me that would have no issue at all getting whatever wood you wanted. And keep an eye on CL or even the side of the roads. LOTS of tree trimming by the electric company this time of year.
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #25
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Yeah, we have trees, and we have guys who sell firewood that they say is "seasoned", even if the tree was felled the month before. And most sell cords that really aren't quite 4x4x8.

It's a royal PITA to find a steady source of seasoned firewood. That's why I switched to Envi 8 firebricks several years ago.

I do miss going through the load of firewood and stealing the cherry to use for smoking.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #26
frayedend
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
But.....you guys have like actual tree's up there. How is this a problem....
Basically everyone I call says they can sell me wood, it's "hardwood, mostly oak". But they can't guarantee all one species or even what the mix is. It won't be a problem for me next year as I already have plenty of oak I'm chopping up currently on my land. But for folks without land/trees they have to find a source. Since everyone is selling it for heating, not cooking it's hard to find a certain species.

I did get a bunch of apple from an orchard but too many small branches, not a lot of splits or logs big enough to split.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #27
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Try here: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/fo...893893376.html

Just got a ton from him. Looks good, haven't used it yet as I just got home with it. I got oak, maple, apple and cherry. All separated in separate boxes.

Pic of it in my truck: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7XUzmJXkAQc5YH.jpg:large