MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
But the ribs have already passed the bend test, right? So the hold period it to ensure or inch them that extra amount up to the perfect temp?
The way I see it, the middle has passed at the weakest point. The thicker parts haven't. Also, resting allows the juices to redistribute and 170 degrees prevents them from cooling down or over cooking.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Cooking at those temps, you should of left them in for 2 or 3 more hours. That is a silly low temp range. Meat renders better at higher cooking temps.

With ribs, I'll go first hour at 250ish, then crank up the heat to 300ish till done (pass bend test, toothpick test, or bone tug test). I do this so I get an hour in at a lower temp to get some smoke on the meat, then crank up the heat to power through rest of cook.

When doing ribs like that, spares are usually done in about 4 hours, and loin backs are done in around 3.25 hours or so. IMO, the trick to making a hotter cook work is to keep the cooker closed the whole time. Don't open it for anything till you hear the sizzling start to calm down. You can place your ear close to pit or exhaust and hear the sound the meat is making. No need to peek. When that sound starts to get a bit quieter, they are probably about done, but I'd check at 3.75 hours anyways for spares depending on how meaty they are.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Don't open it for anything till you hear the sizzling start to calm down. You can place your ear close to pit or exhaust and hear the sound the meat is making. No need to peek. When that sound starts to get a bit quieter, they are probably about done, but I'd check at 3.75 hours anyways for spares depending on how meaty they are.
That's one drawback to an insulated cabinet smoker like a Backwoods or FEC-100. You can't hear the sizzling. :D

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

If you can't hear the sizzling does that rule out the pig honey method? I started using it this summer and will never go back.

So simple, put em on the smoker 275-300 leave em alone, hear 'em sizzle, take a quick look, turn down the heat, come back when the sizzling stops and give them a bend.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
gtr

Now I want ribs!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with the higher temp advice as well. Spritzing with apple juice every so often also helps keep em moist as well as adds some extra flavor.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

At that temp I would have guessed it should have taken about 8 hours to get them tender done.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
EJHOFFY
Got Wood.

Default Hey HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Jim, I think your method with wrapping ribs and holding at 170 is a good idea and logical. How many times have you done it this way and for how long ? I have a G2 Party and was thinking about putting ribs on very bottom rack in a covered pan with a little AJ just to hold them. I think the temp could be close to that 170 but I have to experiment Thanks
EJHOFFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D
Default Re: ribs w/o foil

If people would look at there smokers as a oven the world of bbq would be a better place.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I usually cook ribs 275-300. Yesterday I cooked a St Louis rack at 225/230, because that's where the temp dropped to and held when I closed the bottom vents after I put the rack on at 270 (dome). I decided to see how long it would hold and to cook the ribs that low for the first time. (Sorry, no pics).

After 5 hrs I boosted the temp to 260 (dome) and they finished (bend test) 1hr 45 mins later.

They were juicy w/ nice bark and chew. No foil or spritzing. All I did was rub them w/ Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning and refrigerate for 24 hrs. I had my own BBQ sauce on the side.

I probably won't do em that low again, for time purposes, but it's nice to know it works.

Last edited by charrederhead; 03-12-2013 at 03:04 PM..
charrederhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
SmokingJo
Full Fledged Farker

Default ribs w/o foil

Thank to all the brothers for this great thread!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Good thread. I almost always don't use foil but I learned a few new tricks today to try out.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
^^^ +1 on what these brothers are sayin!

On my last cook, did 6 racks and wrapped in BP at 3-1/2 hours to limit the smoke and keep them from getting too dark, they were done an hour later and the moisture was great. Doing 9 racks the same way this weekend (along with 3 briskets and 30 chicken halves) for a little family party.
I thought with butcher paper they will still take on smoke?
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
Bbq Bubba

Great rib cooking thread!

275 for 3.5-4 hrs seems to be the magic number! Look for that pig honey and your close!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013

Last edited by Bbq Bubba; 03-23-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJHOFFY View Post
Jim, I think your method with wrapping ribs and holding at 170 is a good idea and logical. How many times have you done it this way and for how long ? I have a G2 Party and was thinking about putting ribs on very bottom rack in a covered pan with a little AJ just to hold them. I think the temp could be close to that 170 but I have to experiment Thanks
Here is Gig'em99's thread on brisket secrets which convinced me to try the concept on my last two rib cooks, both of which were spot on. The ribs whose picture I posted above were held for two hours, the last ones were held for three. I am going to try the same concept on a couple of butts this Friday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154329

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote