MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #46
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

It doesn't appear that anyone has mentioned that there is no need to choose because a Costco Executive Membership is actually free. Yes, it says it costs $100, but with that $100, you get 2% back on all your Costco purchases. That means if you spend $5000, then you get your $100 back at then end of the year. One thing that people don't know is that if they didn't get a full $100 back at the end of the year, then Costco will refund the difference. I'm embarrassed to say what our rebate check typically is.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #47
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
It doesn't appear that anyone has mentioned that there is no need to choose because a Costco Executive Membership is actually free. Yes, it says it costs $100, but with that $100, you get 2% back on all your Costco purchases. That means if you spend $5000, then you get your $100 back at then end of the year. One thing that people don't know is that if they didn't get a full $100 back at the end of the year, then Costco will refund the difference. I'm embarrassed to say what our rebate check typically is.
Great point!

And I share your embarassment.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #48
ChiefBrock
Knows what a fatty is.

We were Sams family until they opened Costco in Charleston years ago....never went back. We love their meats and seafood....their bakery...great wine selection and good beer selection.....it is almost one stop shopping for Christmas and throughout the year.

I have always been 100% satisfied with quality of meats and products...and the one or two times we had issues..they were very helpful in the return and replacement or refund...but over the many years that has only happened twice and were very isolated in my opinion.

I dont know what Sams is today...last went in one in 2004...but I dont think you can beat Costco overall.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I had no idea about that. Thanks for posting !!!

I wonder if the Executive membership allows for earlier hours shopping?

That would be really nice.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #50
cricky101
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
My wife were talking just this week about getting a Costco membership.

I had always heard about Costco rebating the difference between the executive and lower memberships if the cash-back threshold wasn't met, but looking through the fine print in their membership documents about the Executive Membership found this:
Quote:
Costco does not guarantee that your reward will equal or exceed your Executive Membership upgrade fee nor does Costco automatically refund any shortfall between the amount of your Executive Membership 2% Reward and your upgrade fee.
I may be wrong, but it reads to me like they won't do the rebate between the regular membership and the executive anymore.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #51
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
My wife were talking just this week about getting a Costco membership.

I had always heard about Costco rebating the difference between the executive and lower memberships if the cash-back threshold wasn't met, but looking through the fine print in their membership documents about the Executive Membership found this:
I may be wrong, but to reads to me like they won't do the rebate between the regular membership and the executive anymore.
It's not something they have ever advertised, but it is something they do. At rebate time, they usually have someone walking through the lines asking people who have rebate checks if they're for under $100 in our Costco. I know they did this last spring and have done it previous years to that. I think it's pretty hard not to spend $100 a week there. I also know they do this at other Costcos in other states. They only topped us off one year when we were living in Europe. They also refunded us for the full $100 and not the difference between the memberships. You could also go in and ask if they do that at your local Costco.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #52
BubbaCoy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
I wonder if the Executive membership allows for earlier hours shopping?
The Costco locations around me (SE Michigan) don't offer early hours. I sure wish they did.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #53
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Someone posted awhile back saying to get a bone in butt at Costco's you just ask the meat mongrels to get one in the back, they take the bones out and package themselves. So since you still have the bone in you get it at cheaper price then the bone out, this is still a conspiracy theory I don't eat that much pork but the next time I buy butts at Costco I'll be asking for the ones in the back.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

We are Costco abusers. I really like their ribs, not the cryo packed ones, our Costco often has some that appear to have been packaged on site.

Here is how we abuse them. We have the Costco AmEx card. If you do not have it and are an executive member, get it. Why? AmEx also pays cash back yearly, so we get a nice rebate from Costco and one from Amex. We also use our AmEx everywhere we can and pay it off at the end of the month. I never carry cash, always use my AmEx and get a nice fat check from them. Costco and AmEx pay me to shop there.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #55
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

You can use your debit card at Sams Club. NOt sure if it has to be either Visa or Mastercard.
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #56
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Just wish we had one or the other closer than 1:15 hour one way.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #57
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I was a Sam's member for years. Now I am a COSTCO member.

Meats and other products are about the same, IMO, as well as prices.

However, COSTCO employees are definitely happier in their jobs, from my observations. The founder of COSTCO catches a lot of flack on Wall Street for treating his store-level employees too well in pay and benefits. Wall Street prefers Sam's, for sure.

IMO, the employees at COSTCO are more friendly and helpful than the employees I dealt with at Sam's. They actually seem to like their jobs better.

CD
This. ×'2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
jdbh
On the road to being a farker

i was working in deep south texas( mcallen area) this year and the costco there had packer briskets and fresh cut st louis ribs at times we got briskets for 1.50 lbs it was great i wish the costco at home sold the same stuff. but my family loves costco the steaks r excellent and you can get prime grades if you want
Stump Clone
Big Green Egg XL
UDS (RED)
UDS (Black)
HYBRID OFFSET TRAILER
GREY THERMOPEN
LIME GREEN THERMOPEN
jdbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #59
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

I didn't even mention the way the staff is treated, my long time friend, some 32 years, has work at Costco for 22 years now. He loved his job and is able to support his family on his wages.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #60
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I know here in Birmingham, Alabama there is only one choice.... COSTCO! Sam's is pretty bad here as far as store upkeep and overall shopping experience. And every Costco I have been to have a MUCH better selection of everything, and that includes meats. I don't mind paying a few cents more per pound for better looking meat and a much wider selection. That may be an isolated thing here in Alabama though.