pulled pork rub and chicken rub

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Lookin for a great pulled pork rub and also a great chicken rub. I like my smoked chicken to have crispy skin rather than rubbery. How do i achieve that since i have never smoked chicken before

thanx

Several of the Brethren market their own rubs and I'm sure several would be appropriate for your purpose. Once I tried out Plowboys Yardbird rub, I was hooked. It's excellent on pork as well as chicken. You can get it online at a few places, like...

http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com (a BBQ Brethren Member)
http://www.kck.com (Brethren-Friendly - look down the right side of the page).

There are more, but I can't think of them at the moment. Hopefully they'll chime in.

For a much less rubbery skin, don't smoke the chicken at 225°. Instead, cook it at around 300°.

Bood luck, and welcome aboard. Show us some pics when it's done.

Well since im new to cooking i would like to learn to make a good one. Any one feel like sharing their recipe for a great rub for chicken and a rub for pork?

I have bought rubs before and they turned out great. Now i think it is time ot learn how to make them

thanx

Paul Kirk has an excellent book about developing rubs,sauces and marinades.
It starts you off with a base and you make your own style, flavor profile.
Along with a lot of winning recipes you can use. Check it out.
jon

Paul Kirk has an excellent book about developing rubs,sauces and marinades.
It starts you off with a base and you make your own style, flavor profile.
Along with a lot of winning recipes you can use. Check it out.
jon
whats the book called. ill go to the library and see if they have it.

thanx for that info

thanx guys

OOPS...
Paul Kirks Championship Barbecue Sauces
its about 10 bucks if the library doesn't have it
jon

this works well for both(per 8lb butt or 4lbs chix 1/4s)
1 cup turbinado sugar
3 tbsp blackening spice(anybrand)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp paprika
1tbsp lemon or lime zest
1/4 tbsp kosher salt

spray oil or mustard slather yer butt(the pork)
rub liberally & wrap tight in saran wrap overnight

smoke over skeet & pecan or hickory- w/ apple or cherry/pear until 200
spritz hourly w/canola oil/ sprite/lemon juice/peach brandy
wrap & set for a couple hours(for the pork)
pull
thats it..:-D

I agree with the others about getting Paul Kirk's book on sauces and rubs. It is an incredible guide to get you started on layering flavors in rubs and sauces. It was (and still is) my Bible, although I've pretty much tweaked most of the recipes I use today.

I'll give another vote for YardBird. Also another one I really like is Kevin's(http://www.homebbq.com). Look around and I recommend buying the small shakers of a few different ones and try them and see which ones you like best. Then order in bulk and cook away.

I don't rub butts...:icon_devil Ok, let's start over; I don't use a rub on butts as I only use butts for Pulled Pork and it seems senseless to use a rub and them mix all the meat up. I do add some seasonings/rub to the AJ when I foil and hold in a cooler for an hour or so prior to pulling, then incorperate the AJ/rub/juices back into the PP. Ya get the flavor, but I think you get a more uniform incorperation...

For Chicken I love Plowboys Yardbird coupled with Todd's Dirt. If I wanna add some spice to my life I use Todd's Dirt and Weber's Kickin Chicken. I smoke 'em at about 240-250 in order to get a deeper longer smoke. Then I kick the heat up to 300-325 for the last 30 mins or toss on the gasser for ten minutes or so to crisp the skin.

Back