MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Default My second brisket!

So I am starting my second brisket EVER.

My first was great but it dried out kinda quickly once I cut it. I'l post photos in a minute.

So for this brisket I trimmed all of the hard lumps of fat, most of the fat separating the point from the flat and whatever else looked ugly to me. I started with a 12.6lb brisket. I also trimmed the fat cap to about 1/4 of an inch. I would imagine I cut out 2 pounds of HARD fat that was not going to render. I couldn't find my scale or I would have measured it!

I have only once used sugar before so I decided to do it again on this brisket.

I mixed about a 1/3 cup of my favorite rub:
10 tbs hot hungarian or half sharp paprika
6 tbs garlic powder
6 tbs kosher salt
5 tbs freshly ground black pepper
3 tbs cayenne pepper
3 tbs onion powder
2 tbs dried oregano
2 tbs dried thyme
2 tbs chipotle powder
2 tbs ancho powder( I ground up dried ancho chiles)
1 tbs guajillo powder (again grind up dried guajillo chiles, after roasting)

to 1/4 cup: granulated sugar + brown sugar

I couldn't get photos of this as my hands were a mess. Anyways I dropped the brisket in a foil pan and wrapped it to go in the fridge over night. Sorry I didn't get any photos of this.

This morning I decided to go to the store and get a foil pan to catch the drippings and also grab an injector AFTER I got my WSM going. I like to get it going early so I can get it steady with the TBS. Anyways, I haven't ever injected before so I decided to just grab a Dr Pepper and mix in some more of my rub to inject. It was interesting to watch the meat slowly expand as I injected it...

Here you can see that I trimmed the fat between the point and flat:

My pugs were bothering me to feed them and let them out so I didnt get the brisket on the smoker until about 10am.

...You might wonder why I have the other grill soo close... THE WIND IS NUTS TODAY and I needed a wind block...

So now I realized I got in on too late to do it super low and slow. The brisket is on the smoker and its sitting at about 260*. Well the wind is making the temps fluctuate from 260-280! I dont really have anything else to do besides completely relocate the smoker but I cant find anywhere around the house that has LESS wind So I guess I am smoking at HALF hot and fast

ANYWAYS

So my questions are:

1) should I foil? I have NEVER foiled before and don't know if it helps much.

2) how long should I cook the brisket/lb at 260 vs 220?

Also IF you recommend I foil it, at what temp should I foil?

Thanks in advance!
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

No matter the cooking temp, it's done when it's done.

I personally don't foil. I just watch the fire until the meat hits about 190. Then I start probing every half hour or so until it feels right.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

This is at 2:15. The brisket has been on the smoker for about 4.25 hours:

Oh I just stabbed the thermometer there for 10 minutes to compare the flat vs the point... I couldn't find my instant read lol

The flat is about 171 an the point is 183. The smoker has been around 280*

Old 10-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Getting close and looking good!
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Oh I forgot to post more photos!
Also I i didn't foil... one of these days I will have to try foiling SOMETHING to see if I like it...

I'll post the photos in a few

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Just spritzed it:

Tried to sneak a sample but it wasn't so sneaky:

Crappy close up shot(pieces are missing because we couldn't stop munching):

Pugs waiting their turn:

Chopped the point:

Before we ate:

Not too bad for my 2nd brisket or my tenth smoke ever

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Nice brisket. The more ya cook em the more you will learn. Hope ya gave the pugs some leftovers.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good! Keep on working at it and you will be a master of brisket in no time. That pic of the point looked especially nice!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking stuff-

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

Get the WSM to 275 and put the brisket on cold. I like to spritz with a mixture of 1 part red wine vinegar to 3 parts apple juice. At least once an hour until the color looks like this.

Then I put it in a foil pan with the rest of the spritz and enough additional apple juice to make it about 1 inch deep. Cover then crank the heat. It's done when the temp probe goes in like a hot knife through butter.

I then let it sit for at least an hour or two before slicing. This is the best method I've tried so far.

Bartstop
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Nice brisket. The more ya cook em the more you will learn. Hope ya gave the pugs some leftovers.
Haha the pugs are so spoiled they dont even have to wait for left overs!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartstop View Post
Get the WSM to 275 and put the brisket on cold. I like to spritz with a mixture of 1 part red wine vinegar to 3 parts apple juice.

Then I put it in a foil pan with the rest of the spritz and enough additional apple juice to make it about 1 inch deep. Cover then crank the heat. It's done when the temp probe goes in like a hot knife through butter.

I then let it sit for at least an hour or two before slicing. This is the best method I've tried so far.

Bartstop
I actually DID get the WSM to about 275 then put the brisket in the smoker as it was still cold. I did NOT foil it or put it in a foil pan though. I want to try that soon but I cant fit a foil pan in the 18.5" WSM that will hold the brisket.

When you say cover and crank the heat, what temperature are you talking?

I let it sit for about an hour or two before I sliced also.

Do you put any sauce on the brisket once its been cut?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very nice!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

I don't like my brisket that dark, that's why I cover it. Also, I have found that the vinegar added to the apple juice spritz seems to keep the outside from getting tough. Once I slice it up, I pour the juices from the pan over the top. The sweet from the apple juice combined with the tart from the vinegar really enhances the flavor of the brisket. My wife and I used to use sauce on the side until we started doing it like this.

As for cranking the heat, I open all the vents and stir the coals to knock off the ash. It will run up to 300 - 325 then slowly ramp down as the fuel burns off. (I use sand instead of water in the pan).

If I remember right, the pic was taken after 5 hours in the smoke. (I've been going by color instead of time or temp). I have to say it was the best brisket I've ever had.

Dave

EDIT: It may be a sin but you might try cutting it in half and using 2 smaller foil pans.
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, those are some very nice looking briskets.

I also did my second ever brisket this pas weekend.

I started out by making an injection from a can of Campbell's Beef Connsume to which I mixed in some Worcestershire sauce, onion & garlic powder, some Texas Pete hot sauce, and I also added in about 4 whole cloves of garlic. I let this sit for about 2 days so the flavors had plenty of time to mix.

My rub was made from about a 1/4 cup each brown sugar, garlic & a ton of onion powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and a commercial rub that I had sitting around the house.

The rub and injection were done about 24 hours prior to the smoking. Smoked at 250 for about 14 hours. Took it off when it was about 190 internal. When I finally tasted some it simply melted in your mouth.

Sorry but I did not take any pics maybe my third one I'll post some pics.
eap0510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, injecting, pr0n, pron