Whole hog or shoulder

Just to further muddy things :heh:, I did a whole hog last December and loved every farking minute of it. I (and apparently all our guests) loved how it came out, and it was really fun and not that hard to do (I did it racer style in an offset). People get giddy seeing a whole pig and love watching it get broken down to eat. If you're okay with your fire management skills, that's really the main thing you have to focus on other than timing the cook right and, as previously mentioned, watching for color.

If you feel at all nervous about it, go for the shoulders. The point of the whole thing is having fun and celebrating a special occasion with family and loved ones - if you think it'll be fun, cook the whole hog, if not, go for the shoulders - just keep the focus on the fun whatever you do.

Thanks for the replies guys. Normally I would ignore my wifes wishes and go ahead and cook whatever I wanted but since she has apparently already lost her mind trying to get everything ready it appears it will be more peaceful for me over the coming weeks if I agree to stick with the shoulders. On the bright side as some of you said I can still throw on some ribs and loins and such just to make it worthwhile.

We usually have a large get together in August while were camping thats a bit more relaxed probably gonna wait on doing the whole hog till then when we can just sit around drinking beer and watching the smoker without having to greet people and stuff.

Happy wife is a happy life. Whole hog sounds great but for an occasion like that you're probably better off letting wifey win. Now she owes you an opportunity to cook a whole hog , though.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies guys. Normally I would ignore my wifes wishes and go ahead and cook whatever I wanted but since she has apparently already lost her mind trying to get everything ready it appears it will be more peaceful for me over the coming weeks if I agree to stick with the shoulders. On the bright side as some of you said I can still throw on some ribs and loins and such just to make it worthwhile.

We usually have a large get together in August while were camping thats a bit more relaxed probably gonna wait on doing the whole hog till then when we can just sit around drinking beer and watching the smoker without having to greet people and stuff.

Ahhh, perspective. Yes, I must admit, my opinion came from similar experience... We have our 4th of July party; same deal. I'm required to cook what she wants, and then anything else is my experiment, but it ****ed sure better not interfere with her eats. I'm actually probably going to do the same thing you/we described above this time, with 2 whole 20# shoulders, 2 9# butts, 10+- racks of BB's, and probably 2 25#+- fresh hams... She wants the shoulders, butts, ribs. I'd like to do the whole hog experience as best I can...

I was taught " If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. If Daddy ain't happy don't nobody care." I'd say make Mama happy.

Last edited:
If you want to please a crowd for an event, make something you are least likely to screw up.

If you want to please a crowd for an event, make something you are least likely to screw up.

A screw up at this point could very well end up with me in a body bag, time to just smile and go along with whatever she wants LOL:wacko:

Back