Maverick How Accurate?

B

Black Dog BBQ

Trying out the new Maverick. Note in picture my other thermos are reading about 220 and the Mav 270. I places the probe as close as possible to the dial thermo. Wonder why the diff? Oh well I have 10 racks of spares on and this is the temp I usually cook at. Any Ideas on the difference?

mav002.jpg

mav001.jpg

mav003.jpg

Just realized you can't read the dial therm it is at 220

Boil a pan of water on the stove and and check the thermos that way. My Maverick and my old Taylor are dead on. If you can unscrew that dial thermo and check it as well.

Boil a pan of water on the stove and and check the thermos that way. My Maverick and my old Taylor are dead on. If you can unscrew that dial thermo and check it as well.

Yup, best way to check. 212°F and it's on the money.

What is the stem length of your pit thermometer.

I replaced the 2.5" Tel-Tru thermometers on my offset and went to 6" stem Tel-Tru's. What a difference that made. My 2.5's were good but off a bit when installed on the pit.

Ok I did boil test with all my thermo.s The mav., the thermopen were within 1 or 2 degrees. The 3" dial thermo.s from the pit were off by about 15 degrees.

When I removed them from the pit they were coated with about 1/8" of crud! I'm sure that was the main problem. Also I discovered the screw on the back that allows you to adjust. Duh! Didn't know that was there. lol anyway problem resolved I think.

Moral of the story - do a better job cleaning the pit.

What is the stem length of your pit thermometer.

I replaced the 2.5" Tel-Tru thermometers on my offset and went to 6" stem Tel-Tru's. What a difference that made. My 2.5's were good but off a bit when installed on the pit.

Length of probe 2.5" I might replace with 4" eventually. Those things are kinda pricey, so I might wait awhile.

Length of probe 2.5" I might replace with 4" eventually. Those things are kinda pricey, so I might wait awhile.
It is great to see you were able to fix your problem. Dont worry about changing it if it works.

Back