MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
Radical Rick
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Deer hind quarter on UDS?

Anybody here ever smoke a whole hind quarter on your UDS? If so what was your results? Any tips or pics would be nice!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
SCPossum
Knows what a fatty is.

I did it a few weeks ago. I placed it on the bottom rack, wrapped in bacon, and let the pork butt on the top drip down on it. I did put a baffle between the bottom rack and the fire basket so it would not dry out with the direct heat. Turned out really well. I took it right on up to 195-200 degrees so it would shred easlily. It takes a little more time to cook with the heat baffle, but it does not scorch or dry out.
SCPossum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Radical Rick
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok, that sounds great. Talking about the heat baffle and worrying about drying out, I wonder what a nice size water pan hanging under the quarter with some apple cider vinegar mix would work?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
keend
is one Smokin' Farker

Use a larding needle (google it) to keep it from drying out.

Misplaced in the Mid-West

NB Bandera
22.5" Weber Kettle
[COLOR=black]22.5" WSM[/COLOR]
keend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Bacon wrapped sounds good with pork over the top. Venison is very lean and needs some sort of fat added (Larding) I have used different methods and tried injections. I used Tony Chachere's "Creole Style Butter Injection" on venison with pretty good luck. Once we poked holes in the hindquarter and shoved small pieces of salt pork into the slits-----the meat came out very moist--but was way too salty.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I like to marinade them overnight if possible, last time I used some Dale's marinade. Then I make slits and insert slices of garlic. Wrapping in bacon is good too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Man you folks are killing me. All I have left is some chopped meat. Have to wait for September to get here to try this.