cutlery?

SmokeyBear

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a few pieces of fairly nice cutlery. I want a nice chef's knife and maybe a boning or all-purpose knife as well. What are the good folks here using? Suggestions?

I know that Henckel and Wusthof are two of the big names, but they also have a big price. I read a few reviews of Forschner that seemed good.

Unless you'rre intent on spending big bucks, Chicago cutlery is a good all around home use knife. Mine hold a good edge, with ocassional ceramic steeling. Just avoid the dishwasher and they'll do you just fine. Now, if you're doing a lot of cutting, that might be a different story.

Pick up several brands if you can and see how it feels in your hands. You'll want a good feel in the grip and balance. Then buy.

KG has the right idea.... Set a budget first, then go from there (and buy Shun :) )

FatDad, thats where I buy my new knives also.

If you can go to a high end box store in a big fancy mall. They normally carry complete sets of high end knives on display. I go there and check out there wares, see how they feel in my hand.

Then not purchase there, come home and call the Cutlery Co. Much cheaper and great folks to deal with.

This week is the time to pick up the year end after xmas mismatched sets at Williams Sonoma and the department stores. I wouldn't pay their prices during the year, but I've picked up some really great deals (including on cutlery) during this week in previous years.

You can also get some pretty good deals on Chicago Cutlery stuff at outlet malls.

try Ebay as well. I picked up some high end knives for low end $$$$. be patient and you can get a good set of knives for less what you would pay for a cheep set of knives retail.

We have two complete sets, one of henkel and one my grandfather passed down to me. I have no idea who makes them but they hold their edge as good as the henkels.

BTW - I use my cheap swiss army brand boning knife for nearly all my triming and general pre-smoked meat cutting. My slaughter house gives me one every year as a christmas gift and that's when I replace it. Henkel Santoku(bed bath beyond - pair for 49.00 with 20% off coupon) for carving brisket and fowl.

I just got an Anolon Santoku and I'm digging it the most. It looks and feels just like the Furi that FatDad suggested, but it's considerably cheaper. Depends on what you're using it for, I suppose. Me, I tend to take my show on the road a few times a year so I'm looking for an above average knife at a reasonable price.

If these are strictly for home use and you have the money, then buy Shun. They sure are pretty...

We have bot a set Henckel's and a st of Wusthof's for home use. The Henckelss were a wedding present almost 18 yrs ago. The Wustof's I got for a price I just couldn't pass up... Also have an assortment of Forschner's in the travel kit...

If your looking to get some on the cheap, I saw that Sam's had a 15 piece set of Wofgang Puck branded knives (made in China I'm sure) for $60.00. We gave my brother in law a set of these a few years ago and he still reports favorably on them.

Be sure what ever you do, you get a Santoku style knife! This has become my goto knife for 90% of my cutting and chopping chores in the kitchen...

James.

Rada knifes are all my wife will purchase. My mother had a few rada knifes and I purchased a couple at a county fair. My wife loves them

Add this to your place to check for prices.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com

Also if you have a TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Tuesday Morning stores near you check them out. They have a limited stock of knives, but you may find what you are looking for at a greatly reduced price.

Ditto on the Tuesday Morning. I got most of my mobil knives there. They were marked 25% off thier already discount price, and while I was shopping the manager came over the loudspeaker and announced that everything that was on clearance was ANOTHER 50% off... I got some great knives for $12.50 each.

I'm a knife junkie. They are good brands. But the way to tell is to use them. The balance, heft and ease of manuevering is what makes a knife right for you. I like Messermeister.

I'm looking to buy a few pieces of fairly nice cutlery. I want a nice chef's knife and maybe a boning or all-purpose knife as well. What are the good folks here using? Suggestions?

I know that Henckel and Wusthof are two of the big names, but they also have a big price. I read a few reviews of Forschner that seemed good.

I use a 7" blade Santoku and it carves fantastic. Best $10 I ever spent, and it holds a nice edge. Between that, my Target cleaver, and my 5" Ikea chef's knife, I'm all set. Bed Bath and Beyond has a decent selection, as does Linen's n Things.

Can't stress enough how good Forschner is for the price. Their knives continually wine the equipment tests on America's Test Kitchen. I own many of their knives and the only one I am not completely satisfied with is their cleaver. Nearly everything is else is absolutely perfect for what you're describing your need to be.

I found a three knife Henckel Pro S set with honing steel at a pretty good price today. The store threw in one of the wooden knife blocks and told me that if I found a store coupon or got one in the mail to bring it in and they would give me back the appropriate amount.

The set includes an 8" chef's knife, a 6" "utility" knife, and a 4" paring knife.

The store was Bed, Bath, and Beyond of all places.

I also checked out some Wusthof and some Furi brand knives and saw some Shun brand. I liked the feel of the Wusthof slightly better than the Henckel, but I was able to get a better deal on the set by going with Henckel. The Furi brand knife felt really nice, but I just didn't want to by a Chinese made product if I could find something that I liked better.

I couldn't find any retailers that had Forschner in stock to try. I may order one online to have when I go take my show on the road.

I agree with the guys that are saying to get a budget together first. If your like me that budget is usually tight. Chicago cutlery will do nicely for most folks if taken care of properly. Buy a good sharpener and steel. Some one mentioned the Analon Santuko, I've got one of those and use it about 75% of the time. I also picked up a couple of cheapo santukos at Sam's club for about $15. for a pair and believe it or not they're not bad. I sharpen them often and they won't last forever but so what, they were $15!!! Another place to check out is Ross discount stores, you never know what they will have. I picked up a $60 Calphalon chef's knife there for $13 and took it and a cheap cutting board to a Christmas party this year as a white elephant gift. Most popular thing getting passed around all night. Except for the 10 blues cd's I got...

Back