MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
eggzlot
Take a breath!

Default Wanting to get into comps - NY/NJ/CT/PA area

All -

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am interested in getting involved in the competition circuit.

I am trying to figure out, best to go at it alone (a few friends have offered to help out), or look to join another team in my area (I am in Bergen County, NJ). I saw there are several KCBS and NEBS events this summer within a 2+ hour or so drive from me. Am I even too late to sign up for some of these regional events?

Due to lack of comp experience and portable smoker (I have an XL BGE, not the easiest thing to transport), I was considering asking any of you Brethern for a referral of someone who may be looking to add a member to their team for this season. If I were to go at this on my own, I thought I may look for a place to rent a trailer smoker rig for a few weekends for practice then to bring to comps to make sure this is something I want to invest in for the long haul.

I have experience doing 'cue on my XL BGE, and I did go to a BBQ comp school earlier this year (that would be on my comp experience at this point, just a school) so I do feel I can go at this on my own or add some benefit to team if I were to join them.

I do not personally know any comp BBQ'ers in my area, so I figured I'd throw it out here on the board to see if you guys had any recommendations or suggestions on how to get started on my own (renting a trailer rig in my geographic area, check list of what you need to bring to a comp, etc) or maybe a team to contact locally to hook up with, etc.

Again, I am open to any and all suggestions - thank you in advance!
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome, make sure that you go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself! Yes there are at least 20 contests this summer within 2-3 hours of your home base. I would like to suggest that you check out the NEBS (New England Barbeque Society) website www.nebs.org . NEBS has a great mentoring program where you can cook at a contest with team and really be a part of what happens. I'm also sure that many other brothers will chime in after me.. Have Fun
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Eggz,

To quickly answer one of your questions, no, you are not too late to sign up for most, if not all, of the comps this year.

As to what you should do? Well we only do a couple a year and there are many so more experienced than us that I'll leave that to them.

However . . .

If you haven't gone and just hung out at a competiton for a weekend, I would highly recommend that you do so at http://www.williepallooza.com/ April 16-17th, and it is only about an hour and a half from you. That would still leave the entire summer ahead of you.

It is GREAT low key competition with teams like mine that do a couple a year, to teams (yes plural) that have made it to The Jack!

Almost all Brethren and VERY friendly. You could spend the weeekend hanging out and talking to a variety of teams and take the best of what you like from all.

You could see about judging the chile and/or BBQ too.

Or if you wanted to, you are welcome to just hang with us, but even though we are great people you would miss out on a great opportunity to take in what the other truly great teams have to offer.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Last edited by timzcardz; 03-10-2011 at 12:28 PM..
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

You should swing by the first comp that comes by and chat it up with some of the teams. Sat. afternoon/night is always a good time to stop by- everyone should be real open to that.
Swing by and say hello at Willipooloza in Brentwood, LI(4/16-4/17 i think) we will be cooking there.
My team hasn't been doing this that long but we can share what we know.(no trade secrets just yet)
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

PM Sent

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
applequeen5
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Don't be afraid to try. Everyone has their first comp! The suggestion to hang out at a couple of comps, talk to the teams, make observations is also a good suggestion. At our Hudson Valley Ribfest (easy access off the NYS Thruway @ Exit 1, we have a very friendly group of teams. And, your first outing, you don't even have to submit all the categories. Get your feet wet, and you'll be hooked!!
Stephanie (for the Hudson Valley Ribfest crew)
applequeen5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Right now we are only doing New Holland. PM me if interested. I will ask my son
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

I have only been doing this a couple of years, 3 contests in, & doing 2 this year i am sure of.......Jump in head first, wait , i mean feet first..
I went all in , not knowing what the hell i was doing the first comp..but it worked out & learned lessons, met some great people, had a ton of laughs, and got the bug & i am hooked..... I will also be at williepalooza,
DAMN DOVER
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
eggzlot
Take a breath!

All -

thanks for the amazing support and offers!

I may look into the NEBS mentor program at the Hudson Valley Rib Fest - that looks like a real good option.

I would like to jump in head (feet) first, but since I need most of the equipment from scratch, just want to make sure I am not getting in over my head before I take the full plunge, which I am sure I will. I went from looking at the $75 Brinkmann at Home Depot to getting a BGE XL, so I am sure once I get a little more info or experience on comp's, I'll be all in pretty quickly!
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
All -

thanks for the amazing support and offers!

I may look into the NEBS mentor program at the Hudson Valley Rib Fest - that looks like a real good option.

I would like to jump in head (feet) first, but since I need most of the equipment from scratch, just want to make sure I am not getting in over my head before I take the full plunge, which I am sure I will. I went from looking at the $75 Brinkmann at Home Depot to getting a BGE XL, so I am sure once I get a little more info or experience on comp's, I'll be all in pretty quickly!
Good place to start!

Also look into some of the stand alone grilling events coming up on the NEBS schedule. Like Grilling on The Bay(NYC), Rose City (Norwich, CT), and some Tailgate events. A grilling comp can be a great way to get your feet wet without the big commitment of an overnight smoke. Good luck and have fun!

-Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote