MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Elfmaze
On the road to being a farker

Default First attempt at smoking ribs.....Ever

I got my UDS built and i'm ready to do this. I have two racks of spares i cut St. Louis style so i could use the tips for another project.

SO far i have rubed them with mustard and dry rub and left overnight in the fridge. it is T-4 hours untill UDS firing. Here is my plan.

T-1:00 Fill coal basket with Kingsford and 3-4 chunks of hickory.
T-45mins UDS should be up to temp (225-250)
T+0:00 Put ribs on. Meat side up.
T+1:00 Spray with Applejuice
T+2:00 Spray with apple juice
T+3:00 tent ribs in Foil, add a bit of juice in tent.
T+5:00 remove foil, add a BBQ sauce(is it needed?)
T+6:00 Shut down and serve

Does that sound about right? I have heard that 3-2-1 is too long. Any other recomended times or tequnique before i dive into this?
Elfmaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Forget the foil altogether, and enjoy the best you've ever had. Had fun.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Your basic approach is fine. You learn by doing, both in terms of recipe factors like what you use to add flavor and the time/temp you cook AND you'll learn your pit. From the results of this cook, adjust as you think necessary to make your results even better! That's the fun of this hobby.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would NOT sauce with a whole hour to go. Especially if you are using a thicker sauce with sugar as it will likely burn (the sugar that is) and make them very dark. When I sauce ribs (and I always do) I wait until the ribs are done and ready to come off, then sauce liberally, then let them cook for only about 10 more minutes, then pull them and foil to rest. iF you're using a thinner, mop style sauce, you should be fine. I like molasses based sauces, so I only cook for enough time to "set" the sauce.

Also, personally, I do NOT foil at all during the cook. Many do, though, so if that's what you're after, give it a shot. I would say, though, that 2 hours foiled is risky. You may have mush ribs with that long. You'll either have to check them (which is a PIA with the foil.....the main reason I don't do it) or just go with 1 hour foiled. The last time I did 3-2-1 ribs, it was actually more like 2.5-1-1.

The real secret with BBQ is doing what YOU want and learning from it.
The above is only my advice. Take it or leave it. I'm no pro....this is just what works for me.

Good luck bro!!

At least you're Q'ing!!!
You're about to venture down an addictive road!!!

Last edited by Wampus; 04-09-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I do foil, sometimes but never more than 40 minutes. Trust me, if you do you'll have mush.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Also, I've had good luck with letting my ribs rest in foil 40 min to an hour after pulling off the uds before sliceing.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Since you have two racks, it's a great time to experiment with two different methods.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Why are you waiting 45 minutes between the time the coals are ready and your putting the ribs on?

Be sure to let the ribs come to almost room temp before putting on the smoker and rest after you smoke them.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I would NOT sauce with a whole hour to go. Especially if you are using a thicker sauce with sugar as it will likely burn (the sugar that is) and make them very dark. When I sauce ribs (and I always do) I wait until the ribs are done and ready to come off, then sauce liberally, then let them cook for only about 10 more minutes, then pull them and foil to rest. iF you're using a thinner, mop style sauce, you should be fine. I like molasses based sauces, so I only cook for enough time to "set" the sauce.

Also, personally, I do NOT foil at all during the cook. Many do, though, so if that's what you're after, give it a shot. I would say, though, that 2 hours foiled is risky. You may have mush ribs with that long. You'll either have to check them (which is a PIA with the foil.....the main reason I don't do it) or just go with 1 hour foiled. The last time I did 3-2-1 ribs, it was actually more like 2.5-1-1.

The real secret with BBQ is doing what YOU want and learning from it.
The above is only my advice. Take it or leave it. I'm no pro....this is just what works for me.

Good luck bro!!

At least you're Q'ing!!!
You're about to venture down an addictive road!!!
Wampus is dead on here. The 3-2-1 and foil methods work, but they're just what some folks like to do. They've worked for me, but they're not set in stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Since you have two racks, it's a great time to experiment with two different methods.
Awesome advice here, too. Vary something between the two racks and you'll learn twice as much.
Good luck and don't forget to let us know what you found out!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I think he's given himself 45m to light the coals, find his beer and let the uds temp settle out.

I like that you have a plan. Take the time to make a couple of notes during the cook of what you are seeing, how the ribs feel, etc.

I would skip the foil. Not because foil is bad, I sometimes use it myself, but since this is your first time, I would want to keep the moving parts to a minimum. It will give you a better learning base for the next time, and the next time, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Manage your fire well and use the bend test to look for doneness. Have faith and keep the lid down.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Boshizzle

Some good advice given already. The only thing I'd add is don't get in a hurry and sugar in rubs and sauces likes to burn so use it carefully. The ribs will be done when they are done. Also, don't get too concerned about seasonings and techniques. As long as you keep your temps in the range you listed just let the ribs cook. Keep things simple and the ribs will turn out really good.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
LMAJ

Here's how I do ribs.
Take ribs out of fridge.
Light the pit.
Rub the ribs
When the pit is where I like it (230 for me) throw on the ribs
Leave them alone for 4 hours then peek.
When they pull back from the bone and bend nicely I take them off the pit and wrap them in foil and into a warm dry cooler to hold - about an hour.
Like the other folks have said - you can take into account what others do, and learn from their experience, but it really comes down to what you like.
Don't be in a rush, Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and most of all - have fun!
Let us know how you make out.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
Your basic approach is fine. You learn by doing, both in terms of recipe factors like what you use to add flavor and the time/temp you cook AND you'll learn your pit. From the results of this cook, adjust as you think necessary to make your results even better! That's the fun of this hobby.
Great commentary. Enjoy and you'll know what to do next time to improve or change.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
jestridge

The main thing you have a plan. I'm sure they will turn out good of course with more experience you will add to and take away. Some people say they will get too done but most people like falling off the bone ribs,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Elfmaze
On the road to being a farker

Got the pit lit off. Was using a thermo in the lid bung hole. APPARENTLY this reads about 100* off from the center of the grate. I dropped a probe thermometer on the cooking grate when the lid said 200* and the center of grate read 312* (all vents now closed and ball valve set to a quarter to try bring it back down). And now some PRON!
Last Night:

Today :

Lighting off.

Waiting to get to temp, and blow past it ;(

Elfmaze is offline   Reply With Quote