• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket prices rising. What are you going to do?

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just checked the price of brisket on Rienhart's order guide (my supplier) and it is at $3.00/#. That is a 17% increase in raw price. 34% if you use a 50% yield. Does anyone see not having brisket as a menu item on the future?

I bought a few cases when they were 2.38 a lbs for the jobs I got lined up in the near future. Pork around here is on the rise as well. Butts are up .40 in the last too weeks. Lot of disease going around I am told.

Unfortunately we are seeing just the beginning of this. Our countries fiscal policies are causing food prices to rise at a dramatic rate. Possibly reaching a "skyrocketing" phase. The only answer is to raise retail prices unless you have a large fortune already financing your business. :sad:

I don't know what the bigger outfits (chain BBQ joints) will do, if anything. But I know the smaller local outfits I've talked to said they will continue to offer brisket until it becomes unprofitable for them to do so. It hasn't reached that point yet but for many it is getting closer.

I just paid $1.89 for butts, when I started a year and a half ago they were $.89 a pound. We are going to have to raise prices again this week.

I just paid $1.89 for butts, when I started a year and a half ago they were $.89 a pound. We are going to have to raise prices again this week.

Dude that is crazy. I to remember butts being .89 to .99 a pound. I'm just glad the economies getting better... :tape::wink:

Sorry about the bad math. But at what point do you not offer it. At this point I need to charge $18/#. That is is getting close to my cost for NY strip.

Sorry about the bad math. But at what point do you not offer it. At this point I need to charge $18/#. That is is getting close to my cost for NY strip.

That's a good question. I guess you can do two things. You can keep offering it until the price you have to sell it at gets high enough where the customer will not pay for it. Or you can make an arbitrary decision that once the price gets to "X" amount you decide to take it off the menu. But either way if what "they" say is true and the price of beef is not finished going up. Odds are you're going to eventually stop selling it no matter what means you use to get to that conclusion.

I paid 2.88 for a case of Brisket at Sam's (some of the worst packers I have seen)

I paid 1.89lb case price for butts. Not very good quality either.

I've been told by some Iowa buddies that raise both, that cattle prices are going up due to last summers drought causing a shortage of beef. and Hog priced because of PED disease. He feels the hog prices will correct themselves by the end of the summer, and as hog lots get back up to full stregnth, but the cattle prices will take time.

It sucks when you can buy a sirloin roast cheaper than a brisket.

I will be raising prices and hope the eaters at the festivals understand.

I started using chuck roll instead of brisket, it's $3.10 per pound but the yield is far better. All of my customers like it a lot better than brisket. We can't get very good briskets around here. I cook it to med. rare and if they want it more done I just throw it on the flat top.

Cost of basic ingredients go up, prices have to go up, until nobody buys the item.

I disagree with why the prices are going up bizznessman, at least in CA, it has nothing to do with policy, there is just no water and no feed.

I suspect at least for the West Coast, the price of all meats are going to sky rocket in a month and everyone will have to adjust their budgets.

I have been using a high end prime product and am looking at what all the big vendors can offer. So far I havent had any luck. I'm also adding better desserts and working on a couple "special"sandwiches to bring my overall costs down. Thankfully, i never positioned myself as a cheap place to eat but instead made it known we focus entirely on quality. We do almost everything in house with a bare bones crew. If I was bloated I'd be looking at labor costs. IMO, you have little control over the cost of food as long as your waste is low and people aren't stealing from you. We shall see how this turns out but long term we need some changes in the weather patterns for an extended period of time along with resolving the pig virus. Unfortunately, both of those take time.

I sell $8 brisket sandwiches and $16 pounds. I've always viewed brisket as a sacrificial item. I make up for it on sides.

That's how I look at it. Brisket is one of my top sellers and I'm already charging $9 for a sandwich and $16/lb, which is at raw product coming in at $2.89/lb. Saw prices go up 10 cents this week and I'll keep prices where they are because it's one of the top sellers that bring people in, and it's making money elsewhere.

May have to bump prices a bit if beef continues to go up, but I don't mind brisket being a loss leader if it gets people in the door.

Back