Why brisket is overrated

I find Pulled Pork to be Over rated. It’s OK but nothing to get Excited over...........

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
We have the exact opposite experience with leftovers. Ribs sit and then get tossed, no one has any interest in left over ribs regardless of how good they were to begin with. Left over brisket is gone within a couple of days (chili, sandwiches, nachos, straight up to name a few ways). When I cook chicken, it's gone the next day if there is any leftover.

I'd weigh in on pork butt or shoulder but I don't cook it since we all find it unappealing (bland and pretty one dimensional in its use).

Next time you have leftover ribs, cut them into individual bones, run them through an egg wash and dredge them in some flour mixed with your rib rub, then deep fry them. You'll never throw ribs away again.

I cooked a Costco prime packer this weekend. Smoked it Blu Dawgs method using "the bbq rub" over pecan. I NAILED this cook. Flat was perfect and I cubed the point for burnt ends(I find the point to fatty to slice for my tastes). The burnt ends were really good. The flat was really good. But after all that I kinda find brisket a little meh myself. I'll cook one or 2 a year but I don't think it's the holy grail of bbq. Just my opinion. Making quesadillas tonight with leftovers.

Next time you have leftover ribs, cut them into individual bones, run them through an egg wash and dredge them in some flour mixed with your rib rub, then deep fry them. You'll never throw ribs away again.
I plan on trying this next time, thanks for the suggestion!

This sounds amazing, and next batch of ribs I do, I may add another slab, just so there are leftovers to do this with.

I'm a little confused. I'm hearing a lot of you say you grind part of the flat either before or after the cook because it isn't good. I find that the entire flat is amazing; it's the point that is hit or miss. Some points are so fatty that I only get a 1 quart pot of burnt ends. Some have enough burnt-ends-worthy meat that I overfill a 2 quart pot.

I'm a little confused. I'm hearing a lot of you say you grind part of the flat either before or after the cook because it isn't good. I find that the entire flat is amazing; it's the point that is hit or miss. Some points are so fatty that I only get a 1 quart pot of burnt ends. Some have enough burnt-ends-worthy meat that I overfill a 2 quart pot.

You must be cooking the flat better than them. :heh:
I've said this before... give me a prime flat on a select point. Perfect combination. Sometimes the point can be so marbled on a choice or higher brisket that you have to make burnt ends.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had some of Bigmista's fried ribs. Of course they were fantastic - just the words "Bigmista", "fried", and "ribs" should be enough clues! So good!

Wow, I just happen to have a slab leftover from Saturday, ad lo and behold, somebody moved out of an apartment where I work and left a pristine 2.5 qt. Electric Deep Fryer last week! Sounds like serendipity to me!

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
sLSRowom.jpg

I find Pulled Pork to be Over rated. It’s OK but nothing to get Excited over...........

I cant even imagine what kind of fresh hell would have broke loose if i had said this.

I like pork shoulder for several reasons. its inexpensive, not a huge cut of meat like brisket, and there is soo much that can be done with it.
it makes great stew meat.
smoke it to 160 and it makes amazing sandwich meat.
it makes great steaks.

shoulder is one of the most underappreciated cuts out there because it seems people only take it to pulled(which pulled pork is also delicious)

^^^Did a dry brined (w/Naturiffic Harvest Brine) pork butt cooked to slicing temps last weekend. Farking excellent! And I did it in the oven 'cause the air was farked up with the fires. Can't wait to do it proper in the smoker - it'll be that much better. Sliced is a great way to go!

Back