Picanha...Performer...Pron!

So, back to true talk about the OP's subject. I don't meant to detract too much from the beef realm, but, is there a pork cut equivalent? I am imagining some crispy, crunchy pork fat kind of offering if there is a pork option.

Let's not forget to praise the beef flavor of this cut, but the toe curling goodness of that fat cap too. Fat is flavor. I'd hit that with lot of hardness!

Bob

Pork has the same cut, ask for a rump cap pork roast. I would think a good porketta, would work well with that style of cook.

Lots of money shots, okay!:wink:

PS....tell the Brazilians it's a fad. :twisted:

Bob

Anything less then a money shot,is a waste of the members of this fine sites time. In my honest opinion, this site needs a newbie section for members that are new to BBQ, and criticism should be enforced there. As far as the long time members section, don't post if you can't handle criticism.

With Papillote Vegetables, beget and Chimichurri Sauce

sea salt
m54wtEgh.jpg

and were are spinning
44WIa5Oh.jpg

EA7XGYah.jpg

vPSX1EQh.jpg

AdZLUEOh.jpg

pulled and sliced
EtRVY0vh.jpg

fGrb56Ah.jpg

KZlgc19h.jpg

YepmojPh.jpg

I5a5ZWMh.jpg

no need for a plate, just eat it off the board, this was so farkin good I wll be doing this again soon. Thanks for lookinq

The key is going to be in the presentation and the pics. You will need to show just how much better those cuts are compared to ^^^^^^^ with visuals only. Anyone can SAY this is better than that, but getting that point across in a post and pics......takes talent and mastery on the grill and with a camera for that matter. Be ready for the criticism. :thumb:

Those pics up top are hard core money shots! They just are!

Bob

The key is going to be in the presentation and the pics. You will need to show just how much better those cuts are compared to ^^^^^^^ with visuals only. Anyone can SAY this is better than that, but getting that point across in a post and pics......takes talent and mastery on the grill and with a camera for that matter. Be ready for the criticism. :thumb:

Those pics up top are hard core money shots! They just are!

Bob

FYI, I never said the pics OP provided was not good. He did a great job with the cut of meat he had to work with. If you actually read the post i quoted, you would understand that i said there is way better cuts that can achieve better results cooked the same way. This has nothing to do with OP, he did a great job cooking this sub par cut of meat.

:hand: Please........

Try skewering some flap, or Hanger steaks cooked the same way. Then come back and spew that nonsense. I get you like this cut, or the way this cut is cooked, but lets not pretend its better then other cuts.

Actually, your argument is false because neither of those cuts have a fat cap, therefore there is no "same way" comparison to begin with.

I also did not find your post helpful, despite accidentally clicking the button indicating such :thumb:

Hold up, you actually found my post helpful.By mistake or not, i'll take it as a win. Thanks Brother, lol

FYI, I never said the pics OP provided was not good. He did a great job with the cut of meat he had to work with. If you actually read the post i quoted, you would understand that i said there is way better cuts that can achieve better results cooked the same way. This has nothing to do with OP, he did a great job cooking this sub par cut of meat.

Okay, then show us some pics that show better results with other cuts. The OP did an amazing job! Expecting no less from you!:thumb:

Bob

Had picanha for the first time at last year's SoCal bash and learned what the big deal about it was. Hoping to be lucky enough to try it again (hint, hint).

:hand: Please........

Try skewering some flap, or Hanger steaks cooked the same way. Then come back and spew that nonsense. I get you like this cut, or the way this cut is cooked, but lets not pretend its better then other cuts.

It's slow on here tonight, so I will add to the fire. Why stop at hanger steak. I bet ribeye cap would be better than hanger steak cooked that way. :-D
I read your original post, and agree, sirloin cap is not the best cut of beef out there. That's why, what Tom did is so special. It is easy to make a good cut of meat great, it is hard to make a lesser cut of meat, taste as good as a better cut of meat.

Actually, your argument is false because neither of those cuts have a fat cap, therefore there is no "same way" comparison to begin with.

Absolutely spot on. It's both the tenderness of the sirloin cap AND that tasty fat cap.

Around here, most stores trim the fat cap down to an unacceptable level. I can buy it all day for $5 a lb, but don't. If you don't have that fat cap, it's not Picahna and the flavor suffers greatly.

Similarly, you don't get anywhere near the same flavor if you just put the cuts on a grill and cook it like a regular steak. The rotisserie and that fat cap keeps the meat continuously basted in rendered beef fat.

And no, you don't get the same effect or flavor from Hanger or Flap steak.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had picanha for the first time at last year's SoCal bash and learned what the big deal about it was. Hoping to be lucky enough to try it again (hint, hint).

We always got room for ya brother.

I vote that at the next SoCal Bash tom b can pull picanha cooking duty.

And I further vote that we pull picanha eating duty. :hungry:

Fantastic cook tom b loving it :thumb: I’ve got to check with my local butcher and try a Picanha cook too. Thanks for posting.!

Last edited:
what no beer comments, Old Chico is bad AZZ ? it is only available in nor cal or maybe just Chico, my daughter brings me some when she comes home from school, she graduates in May so I'm gonna stock up while I'm there :clap2:

what no beer comments, Old Chico is bad AZZ ? it is only available in nor cal or maybe just Chico, my daughter brings me some when she comes home from school, she graduates in May so I'm gonna stock up while I'm there :clap2:
Oh, there was beer in the pictures? All I saw was some wonderfully delicious looking Picahna. [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Picanha Roast

I'm going do a Picanha/2.5 lbs like a roast on a grill. Came out great last time.I also tried one on my rotisserie, like it better as a roast. Roti might have over cook it.
DanB

We always got room for ya brother.

I vote that at the next SoCal Bash tom b can pull picanha cooking duty.

And I further vote that we pull picanha eating duty. :hungry:

Greg, thanks for the invite and yes, that sounds likes an excellent plan.

Tom, the first time I posted pictures here I had more comments on the beers chosen than the food.

Back