MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

Default What's more important - The prep before or after the meat comes off of the smoker?

I'm starting to wonder if I've got things backwards for Competition Q. I've been more focused on everything I do to prep the meat before I smoke it i.e. Injecting, Rubbing, Wrapping, etc. I'm starting to wonder if everyone that's consistently walking is even more focused on how they treat the meat AFTER it's been smoked. Now I know IT'S ALL IMPORTANT....however, I'm going to assume that most of us make great BBQ. Which leads me to wonder if there's some magic going on once you've smoked perfectly - and the thing that separates the winners from the losers is some major doctoring after the meat comes off of the smoker.....hmmmm...
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
[url]www.starkboards.com[/url]
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

After.

Our prep is always the same. If we screw something up, it happens after 10AM on turn in day.

Doctoring, yes, but cooking for the right doneness, timing wrapping, glazing properly, keeping to a schedule, putting the best pieces in the box - all that stuff can go wrong in the last 2 hours. Very little goes wrong in prep that you can't correct.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

My advice, and I don't know you at all, no booze until after turn in. If you drink, cool, keep them cold until after the final turn in and then celebrate like crazy. Focus on your timeline and don't vary from what has brought you previous success. Trust me, I love to booze it up, but, as Myron says, you can't win the party Friday night, and then win the competition.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Stark-O-Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
My advice, and I don't know you at all, no booze until after turn in. If you drink, cool, keep them cold until after the final turn in and then celebrate like crazy. Focus on your timeline and don't vary from what has brought you previous success. Trust me, I love to booze it up, but, as Myron says, you can't win the party Friday night, and then win the competition.
Yah, the booze definitely isn't our problem. We've just been finishing in the middle of the pack, and we're all pretty frustrated. We see the same teams win over & over again - Congrats to them, they're awesome. However there has to be something that they are doing after the cook that really sets it apart. We have consistently had what we, and some of our Comp neighbors thought was walkable product, but often have been really disappointed with where we finish. We have walked for pork, but that same exact pork came in the middle of the pack at the next comp.

Should we be injecting the meat after we pull it off of the smoker? Butter, aus jus, and rub? I'm sure most who walk consistently aren't going to give away their secrets, but man, this is a wonderful and frustrating "sport"!
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner

Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have come to a point where I believe that there are certain popular rules of thumb that are not necessarily 100% true. I think that many top teams know the full truth regarding what the averge judge likes. Obviously its not an exact science, or a few teams would win every time.

I'll give an example. The general KCBS BBQ public has been taught that the bite mark on a perfectly cooked rib will be perfectly shaped. The truth is that a perfect bite mark can just as easily be found on an undercooked rib. IMHO a bite mark that is slightly ragged around the edge and leaves the bone clean in that one spot is a more accurate description. Despite the negative stigma associated with the term, I think the ideal texture is closer to "fallin off the bone" than many would admit.

That's just one example, but I'm sure that there are quite a few others that folks keep to themselves.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

After. Competitions are won and lost over what meat makes it in the box.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I'm going to go with the spectacularly unhelpful answer of "both".

Good meat presented badly will still do well, but it won't reach its full potential score. Conversely, the meat has to be perfectly cooked, or all the tapdancing in the world between the cooker and the box won't save it.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you slip up or cut corners on either of the 2, you lose. You need to nail both to win... or have a jar of pixie dust like I have...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Stark-O-Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
If you slip up or cut corners on either of the 2, you lose. You need to nail both to win... or have a jar of pixie dust like I have...
I'll pay $100 for 4 oz.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd say it's both..you've got to know how to prep correctly but also know how to finish correctly as well...perfectly cooked meat and a balanced flavor profile are what wins IMO.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that if your "meat is too anything, then you're f$%ked!" I laughed when I read that, but I know what they mean. Your flavor profile has to be well balanced with complimenting flavors. We're working on it ourselves and it's been hit & miss.

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

[B]Competition arsenal:[/B]
(1) [I][B]22.5 WSM[/B][/I], (2) [I][B]18.5 WSMs[/B], So fast it predicts the future [COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [B]Thermapen[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/vicioussmoke"][B]Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.twitter.com/vicioussmokebbq"][B]Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter[/B][/URL]
ViciousGame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

I would say after. Especially as far as the taste goes. If you are putting glazes, sauces, and stuff on before going into the box, those things are what is going to be first tasted by the judge; whatever hits the tongue first is what makes the "first impression". The fact that final sauce or glaze is applied last will say what is tasted first.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

What separates the top 3 to 5 in every contest from the middle-of-the-pack folks is tenderness.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
BogsBBQ

I would say both as well. Agree with Scottie...nail them both and you will do great.

One thing you didn't mention which I think is equally important is meat selection. It all starts there.
BogsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Could it also be, "during" the cook, not just before and after? Pit temps, when to wrap, moisture, etc...I think we all have similiar methods of trimming, injecting, seasoning and such, but the differences to me come from during and after the cook.