cut out "money muscle" and cook seperate or no?

smokinslim99

Found some matches.
Reaction score
was wondering if this could make a better presentation in the box with bark all the way around it rather than jus one side?

Is this for a KCBS sanctioned competition?

You may want to read the KCBS rules for 2013. This is illegal.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker

This is supposed to change in 2014, but until then, don't do it.

As you can see you cant remove it...but you can almost remove it for smoking

Just curious, do you consider that the 5 pound rules applies before or after trimming.

Has to be at least 5 lbs when inspected

I believe that it has to be 5 lbs. before it goes on the cooker as well under the current KCBS rules. That is not the case going forward into 2014 as the lastest modification to the rule has eliminated the minimum weight.

It really shouldn't be so hard to find a 5 or even 10 pound money muscle if you know where to look and have the right tools. :roll:

41zLykZfJqL.jpg

On the last show of BBQ Crawl it looks like Diva cut almost all of the money muscle off. Just a little meat left holding it on like a hinge. Then wraps with butcher string.

On the last show of BBQ Crawl it looks like Diva cut almost all of the money muscle off. Just a little meat left holding it on like a hinge. Then wraps with butcher string.

This ...

One of you pro competitor types show us a picture of your butchered butt cooking for money muscle.

It seems like this is some sort of secret, but I don't know why. Maybe it is just my irrational perception, but I've noticed in other threads this gets mentioned, but no one goes into details.......

This ...

One of you pro competitor types show us a picture of your butchered butt cooking for money muscle.

It seems like this is some sort of secret, but I don't know why. Maybe it is just my irrational perception, but I've noticed in other threads this gets mentioned, but no one goes into details.......

Most likely because the teams doing this either have spent a ton of money on classes or they have spent a lot developing their methods in competition. If you look hard enuff on the net theres pics of what some are doing just not posted by the guys you would recognize.

Fair enough. I guess my conspiracy theory was right at least. :razz:

Just cooking pork collars was discussed last year by the KCBS Board.
They released a rep bulletin about it. Most 5 pound pork collars also contain meat that is not from the actual shoulder cut and would be illegal. SRF at one time was marketing such a product to BBQ teams. Once the bulletin was released they stopped the marketing but it is still available listed but as 4 pounds.

Saw the TV show "BBQ Crawl" mentioned above. Did a double take, and replayed several times in slow mo. That was about as close to illegal as one could get pushing the intent of the rule to its limit.

Back