MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Safe Rice Temps?

I had a couple of orders of fried rice from an Asian restaurant sitting in my fridge for a couple of days, and I was tired of trying to reheat rice in the microwave -- it always comes out dry and ends up in my garbage can.

So I took my rice cooker, dropped the rice into it, added a bit of water and soy sauce (2-3 T. of water, 2 T. of soy sauce) and put it on the steam cycle. It warmed it up and it came out incredibly moist and nearly as good as it was the first time around.

Once the rice cooker had stopped steaming, I tested the rice with my Thermapen and it was holding temp around 160 F. Is that hot enough that it would have killed any nasty bacteria that may have been in the rice? The cooker will hold the rice at that temperature for hours.

Thanks in advance.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

You will hear many different opinions on reheating food but this is how I handle it.

When you must reheat food, do it very quickly to 165° F. The right way to do this is on the stove burners, or in microwave ovens, convection ovens, or double boilers. Do not use anything that will heat the food slowly, because it takes too long to pass the "Danger Zone." Stir the food to be sure that all parts of it are hot. Then use your metal stem thermometer to check the temperature. Reheat foods to 165° F.

I would time the process in your rice cooker. If it reaches the proper temp in a short period of time then you should be okay. I don't have a rice cooker so I use skillet with a lid, add some broth, and over medium heat bring it to temp within 5-10 min.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

you have 2 hours to get through the danger zone. if your steamer is anything like the ones I have used you have no problem.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

No problem, the rice will heat to 160F very quickly. In truth, it heats beyond that with the use of steam, then comes back to 160F as the cooker turns off. I do add some water, about 1/4 cup for 2 cups of leftover rice. About all you need.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
deguerre

Well, that's a wrap.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba

I think rice vendors should have their own sub forum......
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
you have 2 hours to get through the danger zone. if your steamer is anything like the ones I have used you have no problem.
This. You have 2 hours to bring to temp, my guess is your cooker brought it up in less than 30 minutes.