Wood Chunks - Does it matter who I order from?

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Before I place an order for fruit woods (cherry and apple) and some pecan, I need to know if it matters who I get it from
Is Weber as good as a specialty seller?
I am asking because I get free shipping from Amazon but specialty guys charge a ton to ship.

Thanks
Mark

Get from amazon.

I haven't noticed any difference between brands of chunks.

Cut your own if possible.

Get from amazon.

I haven't noticed any difference between brands of chunks.

Cut your own if possible.
Can't cut my own :clap:
Why does some advertise it has bark and some is bark less. What does bark add?

I get mine from www.doitbest.com

They have a good selection, and priced very reasonably. Plus they'll ship free to your local hardware store, and they'll call you when it's so you can come pick it up. I see they have a Kellogg's about 6 miles from you which is a doitbest ship to store affiliate:

Kelloggs & Lawrence
26-30 The Parkway
Katonah, NY 10536
Tel: 914-232-3351

I get mine from www.doitbest.com

They have a good selection, and priced very reasonably. Plus they'll ship free to your local hardware store, and they'll call you when it's so you can come pick it up. I see they have a Kellogg's about 6 miles from you which is a doitbest ship to store affiliate:

Kelloggs & Lawrence
26-30 The Parkway
Katonah, NY 10536
Tel: 914-232-3351

Thanks. What about the bark no bark question ?

Bark, no bark. Doesn't matter.

Some folks say the bark adds a bitterness. I use fruits wood for the most part. Biggest difference is moisture content of the wood. In order to bag it, it needs to have a lower moisture content to avoid getting moldy. To be honest I don't notice much a difference. The hardware store I go to sells fruita wood reasonably cheap and they have a much better selection than bagged stuff. I load a bunch if chunks in a bag, weigh it and take it to the counter. Typically they lift the bag and estimate about half what it actually weighs. I let them know it's "a little more than that" to which they respond "close enough"........ends up being cheaper than the bagged stuff. And I don't have to buy as much.

I get "Smoke Me" from FireCraft:
http://www.firecraft.com/category/wood-chips-wood-chunks

It's great, clean wood. The chunks are very large (probably great for an offset), so I usually split them down on my own with an axe (for my egg). Some (1/2?) pieces do have a side with bark, but I just split it off and toss it.

Here is my split pieces, next to a full chunk of pecan:
wood.jpg

Ok. I'll try fruita.
I have oak and hickory
Thinking of apple and pecan.
Mostly make pork chicken and fish
Tho want to do brisket.

What should I get ?

Back