Score This Brisket Box

How would you score appearance on this entry at a contest?

• 9 – Excellent

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • 8 – Very Good

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • 7 – Above Average

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • 6 – Average

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 5 – Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 – Poor

• 3 – Bad

• 2 – Inedible

• 1 – Disqualified

• Total voters
Very nice... I went with an 8. If more meat like that was in the box it would be a 9.

I would give it a 7.

The garnish looks fantastics and overall presentation looks solid but I don't judge up for that. For the meat alone, I gave it a 7 as it looks a bit tough as the muscle fibers don't appear to be broken down. (based on the pictures).

I would give it a 7.

The garnish looks fantastics and overall presentation looks solid but I don't judge up for that. For the meat alone, I gave it a 7 as it looks a bit tough as the muscle fibers don't appear to be broken down. (based on the pictures).

Muscle fibers???? Where are muscle fibers? The following brisket was slightly over cooked and looks very similar to the brisket the poster pictured. While not a great box it scored 2nd to Ique at last years Rock n Ribfest. I just don't see it Vinny. However, I commend you on judging the meat without being influenced by the garnish. Thats the way it should be judged and is the way I was taught at my CBJ class.

700_P1010016.JPG

On appearance alone, I gave it an 8. The meat looked moist and the box looked really good. I like the idea of putting both slices and burnt ends in the box for presentation purposes. Taste may be a different story, but we cant judge that yet.

In the infoamous words of the Brethren "I'd hit that"!!

Muscle fibers???? Where are muscle fibers? The following brisket was slightly over cooked and looks very similar to the brisket the poster pictured. While not a great box it scored 2nd to Ique at last years Rock n Ribfest. I just don't see it Vinny. However, I commend you on judging the meat without being influenced by the garnish. Thats the way it should be judged and is the way I was taught at my CBJ class.

Guy - What I mean is that when I look at a slice of brisket and determine if it "looks" appetizing, one of the things I consider is how tender/tough, moist/dry tough it "looks". Tom me, the brisket in question "looks" like it could have been cooked longer and may require a knife to break the meat apart rather than be able to pull it apart somewhat easily by hand or chew off a piece easily.

Two people can look at the same entry and see two totally different things. That's what makes competing in BBQ contests somewhat of a gamble.

You're 2nd place brisket looks good, but it's probable that the same brisket could have not placed as well at a different judges table.

Back