• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Slidell Turn In's

djqualls

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Needless to say Slidell was a disappointment for me. I felt that all of the entries were cooked at standard of "doneness" with the right bite and I concentrated on layers of flavor.

Chicken was done with Butcher's Honey Rub, a pat of butter and 1/2 sauce& 1/2 Honey Mixture for sauce
Ribs were a Brown Sugar/Williams Chili S&P rub then brown sugar/Parkay coating then foil for an hour then back open and dusted with Butcher's Honey Rub and sauced.
Brisket was Butcher's Rub and Injection with a thinned sauce for the color and the ends were dredged in sauce.
Pork was same rub as ribs injected with Butcher's.

Everything Cambro Held
Cooked on FEC 100 monitored with Stoker and Cookingpellets.com blend pellets.

I'm just scratching my head on this. The 6's on tenderness have got me in a tail spin because I felt that my tenderness was dead on what KCBS looks for.

Opinions Please!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djqualls/sets/72157626442546492/

These were Pictures of my Entries.

I can't get them to post as a picture

CK 998 877 978 988 877 978 Place=29th
RI 877 876 886 877 988 877 Place=33rd
PK 889 989 787 987 888 976 Place=22nd
BR 977 978 977 988 876 978 Place=28th
OVERALL 33 out of 37.

Last edited:
dj, the pics aren't showing up here. Just the little box with a red x in the center.

At least the red x's are all the same size and have a nice color to them.

9.0 presentation

:)

Looks like they were generous on the appearance score. keith

I know everyone says they like chicken that looks like chicken but you need to trim them more and get them more uniform even if that means cutting the bone. I like the color but sauce needs to be more even.

I don't see any pull back or smoke ring on the ribs which leads me to believe that they weren't cooked long enough. I know you are supposed to judge the smoke ring but if you are bold enough to turn one of your ribs up on its side for the judges to see, you darn sure better have one. I also think you would do better the rib bones perpendicular to the bottom of the box.

You have a great looking money muscle but the bark on the pulled looked stiff and dry.

I really like the brisket box but the slice closest to the burnt ends is longer than the others and is distracting.

Just what I see when I take a quick glance.

With all 9's, 8's, and only one 7 in presentation, appearance/presentation isn't the problem. You're getting 6's and 7's in taste. That kills. The pork appeared dry and possibly tough, but you really can't tell from a picture. Also, I agree with Mista in that if you're putting a rib in there on it's side, it really should have a smoke ring. Maybe not enough smoke coming through on your flavors (a guess).

I just went through what you are going through. I had a few numbers that shaked me, I averaged them and realized my scores in my past couple of comps had gone down and low and behold, it wasn't the judges it was my food. My opinion is you need to work on tenderness and taste just like I am. You have your presentation spot on and the only one that's low in comparison to the others is ribs. Bigmisata has some good advice there. In my opinion, after obsessing over score sheets, winning bbq is averaging > 8 or >160 points. Your averages are:

Taste / Tenderness (I didn't drop the low score.)

C Tst. 7.5 Tend. 7.6
R Tst. 7.3 Tend. 6.8
P Tst. 7.8 Tend. 7.6
B Tst. 7.2 Tend. 7.3

A side note, on our first KCBS contest we weren't accustomed to the 30 minute turn-in window. As a result I over-compensated and ended up with meat going out that wasn't nearly as hot as we were accustomed to. Is it possible that you put forth cold(er) meat (which changes the flavor profile somewhat and also tends to change tenderness)? We went from consistently in the top 5 (overall) to darned near DAL and well into the bottom 1/3rd simply by going with luke-warm meat (and rubbery chicken skin this time).

I would do strong 8's for each box. What cut of pork is that you sliced?
Ribs would do better showing pulled back bone. By the way those are some of the thickest, meaty looking ribs I've ever seen. Perfectly lined up brisket slices becomes a 9. Chicken is all over the place in size, 3 close, rest smaller misshaped.
I would guess the ribs were a little tough and the brisket a little dry.
I wasn't there just using experience in loking at cards to see what the problems were.
Ed

All of those pictures are from the opposite side of the box than what the judges see. It's very difficult to give you an opinion since I'm see something completely different than what the judges saw.

Chicken was done with Butcher's Honey Rub, a pat of butter and 1/2 sauce& 1/2 Honey Mixture for sauce
Ribs were a Brown Sugar/Williams Chili S&P rub then brown sugar/Parkay coating then foil for an hour then back open and dusted with Butcher's Honey Rub and sauced.
Brisket was Butcher's Rub and Injection with a thinned sauce for the color and the ends were dredged in sauce.
Pork was same rub as ribs injected with Butcher's.

Couldn't have been the taste, lol:boxing:

With all 9's, 8's, and only one 7 in presentation, appearance/presentation isn't the problem. You're getting 6's and 7's in taste. That kills. The pork appeared dry and possibly tough, but you really can't tell from a picture. Also, I agree with Mista in that if you're putting a rib in there on it's side, it really should have a smoke ring. Maybe not enough smoke coming through on your flavors (a guess).

^^^Agreed and seconded^^^

Thanks. I have some more things to do here. I appreceiate your comments.

Hey first of all it was a pleasure to meet you and cook next to you last weekend. We were Smokin Baptist.

It all looks good to me but if I were a CBJ I have a feeling that I would give alot of 9's on appearance. I believe the criteria for judging appearance should be to open the box and then score it based on how much it looks like I want to eat it.

I only got to try your ribs, but Brother I kid you not, I thought they were way better than what I turned in and I got 10th.

I think its just like the advice you gave me this weekend. Getting a table full of judges is like being dealt a hand of cards. Sometimes you just don't get the cards.

Your appearance scores were pretty good, but I can't judge taste or tenderness from pictures so I'll give you my critique the appearance for what it's worth, and next time, tell you cameraman to come around front so you can see what the judges see in the pictures.

From what I can see:
The sauce on the chicken looks a little sloppy and the pieces are not very consistent in size and shape.
There's a lot of green showing in the rib box, and I wouldn't show the cut side of the rib if you're going to cover it with sauce.
The pork looks a little dry and the end slices on the money muscle look a little rough.
I can't see the face of the brisket slices, but they look pretty good from what I can see.

Now work on you taste and tenderness, because that's where your lowest scores were.
Good luck!

I think its just like the advice you gave me this weekend. Getting a table full of judges is like being dealt a hand of cards. Sometimes you just don't get the cards.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. :boxing: It might be the case a lot of the time, but it looks like they got 4 tables of pretty consistent judges. With the exception of pork, each table of judges seems to have agreed. From comments I often read about judges, I suspect most teams would be happy to have that kind of consistency in judging whether they agreed with the scores or not. Q-Dat, you may have liked their ribs better than yours but apparently the judges felt differently. As someone who tasted both, what was different between the two? Maybe that can give us an idea of the flavor profile the judges are looking for. Julie

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. :boxing: It might be the case a lot of the time, but it looks like they got 4 tables of pretty consistent judges. With the exception of pork, each table of judges seems to have agreed. From comments I often read about judges, I suspect most teams would be happy to have that kind of consistency in judging whether they agreed with the scores or not. Q-Dat, you may have liked their ribs better than yours but apparently the judges felt differently. As someone who tasted both, what was different between the two? Maybe that can give us an idea of the flavor profile the judges are looking for. Julie

Well the rib I ate had a caramelized quality that I was totally unable to hit with my own. They were also more tender than mine while keeping the meaty texture.

Maybe I just don't have competition BBQ tastebuds.

Back