MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket freezing

Unfortunately the Farmers market was rained out today. I now have 45 lbs of cooked brisket to deal with. I already put the pork in freezer bags. Can I do the same for brisket? Slicing first, I assume. This will be for personal consumption, not reuse for next weekends market.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Bill,

We were in the same boat. 24 pounds of brisket and 30 pounds of pork cooked with no place to sell it. We sliced the brisket, put in bags, and then froze, just like pork.

Darn rain.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
big range bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh that's wrong we were on our way over to help you get rid of some of that brisket, and I heard you didn't make it. We are right down the street bring it buy and you wont have that need to freeze problem anymore.
big range bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Default brisket

Thanks Big Range for your very generous offer!! I am down to 30 lbs now. Took some samples to some local business just before lunch. Gave each business couple lbs of PP and Brisket, mac/cheese, potato salad, sauce. Both places asked me to leave cards for their customers. They will recommend me to them. Local barbershop and my wife, daughters hair salon. Tried going to local shelter earlier, where I had previously donated my stuff due to rain out, and they said I needed to call first, before donating.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You can freeze with no problems, anyway you want.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Great idea Bill about the businesses, did not even think of that.

Will keep it in mind for next time.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth57 View Post
Thanks Big Range for your very generous offer!! I am down to 30 lbs now. Took some samples to some local business just before lunch. Gave each business couple lbs of PP and Brisket, mac/cheese, potato salad, sauce. Both places asked me to leave cards for their customers. They will recommend me to them. Local barbershop and my wife, daughters hair salon. Tried going to local shelter earlier, where I had previously donated my stuff due to rain out, and they said I needed to call first, before donating.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yup...just vacu-suk it and freeze it...do it all the time. I usually freeze it in one lb bags to use in other recipes such as chili and fajitas.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
FltEng
On the road to being a farker

I don't slice mine when I have left overs I feel that when you slice it you are going to release a lot of precious juice that will be needed when re-heating the product,
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, what JD said. I always vacuum seal and freeze it. I reheat in the bag in simmering water for about a half hour and it turns out just fine. Slicing it before freezing will definately dry it out. Only time i slice it is when I have enough jus left over and I'm giving it to someone. Most people I give it to don't have big granton knives to slice it propperly and would probabbly slice it with the grain anyway. So I slice it, throw some liquid in, vacu-pack & freeze.

Ironside Smokers
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote