MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Default Best way to keep buns fresh?

I plan on buying buns in packages of 60 for an outdoor event.... My question is after I open them what is the best way to keep them soft and as fresh as possible. The longest I would need to keep open would hopefully be 2 days.... suggestions?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Airtight tupperware containers or rubbermaid storage bins

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
AtlGator
On the road to being a farker

Personally swear by Kirkland Signature Flushable Baby Wipes, myself!
AtlGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
L O L ... That was funny..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I don't care who ya are if that didn't make ya laugh ya must be long dead.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
..lol

Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Rexter
Found some matches.

Where are you getting 60ct? What size? If you have access to someone that can buy sleeves they will be 20 per. Tie the sleeve after you use what you need. The best way to soften them if they start to dry out is put a damp, not wet, paper towel in the sleeve and set it in the sunlight for 10 minutes or so. You can "steam" unopened sleeves with sunlight as well. Just do as many as you are going to use right away so they don't harden.
Rexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexter View Post
Where are you getting 60ct? What size? If you have access to someone that can buy sleeves they will be 20 per. Tie the sleeve after you use what you need. The best way to soften them if they start to dry out is put a damp, not wet, paper towel in the sleeve and set it in the sunlight for 10 minutes or so. You can "steam" unopened sleeves with sunlight as well. Just do as many as you are going to use right away so they don't harden.
Local Bakery here... there 6 bucks for 60 buns. they are great its what i always buy anyway....

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Rexter
Found some matches.

That's my line of business. If you were closer I'd hook you up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.3 KB, 64 views)

Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That's my line of business. If you were closer I'd hook you up.
they come in a bread tray and only one layer so once you open them there all subject to air :(

Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Rexter
Found some matches.

I would ask if they can sleeve 20 instead of 60. If not, try keeping the sleeve closed with a twist tie. Just cut it enough to pull one bum at a time. You can put them in airtight containers as well. As I posted, the best way to freshen them is with a damp paper towel and sunlight. If you do this, only do as many as you will use right away. They will harden after drawing the moisture to the surface. See if you can find a bread guy that will sell you some off the truck. They will be sleeved 20 ct. You could also get 12pks too. I carry 4/4.5/5" in sleeves, 4.5" in 12pks, and retail 8ct. Shipping would be a killer for overnight

Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I would ask if they can sleeve 20 instead of 60. If not, try keeping the sleeve closed with a twist tie. Just cut it enough to pull one bum at a time. You can put them in airtight containers as well. As I posted, the best way to freshen them is with a damp paper towel and sunlight. If you do this, only do as many as you will use right away. They will harden after drawing the moisture to the surface. See if you can find a bread guy that will sell you some off the truck. They will be sleeved 20 ct. You could also get 12pks too. I carry 4/4.5/5" in sleeves, 4.5" in 12pks, and retail 8ct. Shipping would be a killer for overnight
lol yes shipping would be rough!!! lol...

Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

get some jumbo or at the very least gallon sized ziplock bags. get a couple people and portion out the larger package into smaller ones as quick as you can. make sure to remove as much air as you can w/o crushing the buns when sealing the bags. you could also try getting ahold of some O2 absorbers to toss into the ziplock bags. that way, except for the initial separation, you only expose the buns to air a few at a time.