Tri tip straight Otto

KORND4WG X

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Tri tip rubbed with peppered cow and using only the Otto. Had to adjust the burners for uneven thickness

Jlo72Ubl.jpg

1trDzutl.jpg

Decided to use this method on weekdays from now on instead of sous vide and then Otto. Sous vide is tender but I don’t like the texture, plus seems the juices end up in the bag instead of the meat.

This takes a little longer but not by much.

Nicely done!!!

Thanks Robb. I actually turned the burner on the thin side completely off while the thick side was catching up. Might’ve affected the sear but it was plenty crusty :laugh:

Looks great. I am really impressed with the OWG and the results I'm seeing posted up, as well as the results I've gotten with it myself.

Yeah for convenience and results in a hurry it’s hard to beat :thumb:

Oh, I'd be proud to hit some of that! Nicely done, sir.

Thanks brother. Tri tip with avocados and ponzu sauce is one of my favorite meals, weekday or not :clap2:

seems the juices end up in the bag instead of the meat.

Just curious, what temp are you sous-viding at? Lots of juice in the bag means the cook temp was high enough to contract the protein strands and squeeze the juice out. It's 100% likely the same thing is happening in the otto, ya just don't see it. :wink:

Just curious, what temp are you sous-viding at? Lots of juice in the bag means the cook temp was high enough to contract the protein strands and squeeze the juice out. It's 100% likely the same thing is happening in the otto, ya just don't see it. :wink:

Thanks for the input sleebs :thumb. I cook tri tip to 133 as I like it medium, other cuts of beef a little lower. For pork chops I cook them to 131.

It just seems when I bite into them the SV is less juicy, i can pour the bag juices over it but doesn’t seem the same.

Hmm. Yeah, could be that braising effect from the liquid in the bag. Maybe sv to 125, then finish up on the grill to get it to 133? I seem to remember that you'll lose a lot of juice once you get up over 125 or 130 with sv.

Bonus fact: This is why rare steaks are never "bloody" on the plate. The proteins haven't contracted, so all the juice stays inside. When you get to medium and higher, you start getting a puddle on the plate because the meat is shrinking and that water has to go somewhere.

Hmm. Yeah, could be that braising effect from the liquid in the bag. Maybe sv to 125, then finish up on the grill to get it to 133? I seem to remember that you'll lose a lot of juice once you get up over 125 or 130 with sv.

Bonus fact: This is why rare steaks are never "bloody" on the plate. The proteins haven't contracted, so all the juice stays inside. When you get to medium and higher, you start getting a puddle on the plate because the meat is shrinking and that water has to go somewhere.

Will give it a go, thanks! :clap2: On weekdays it’s convenient to sv while I’m working and when the wife gets home just sear it off.

That's a tasty looking piece of meat, I'd love to sample it. Are you sure it's a TT? Doesn't look like one, from here.

Matt

Yep, Costco slices them into steaks. Makes it tricky to find the grain sometimes.

Back