MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #9751
eppo
Got Wood.

Just put this one together!

Can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
eppo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #9752
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppo View Post
Just put this one together!

Can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That thing is going to spil if you don't set it upright.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #9753
bass7858
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Opinions from the Masters solicited

I have built 3 uds's. They all came out real well. Dome lids, double cook racks, 15 inch round charcoal baskets, as pans etc.

The first one i built started out as super simple. Drilled 4 intake holes and used sheet magnets to control air intake. That actually works good except i had them stuck directly to the side of the drum and after about 2-3 hours at heat they start loosin their "sticky power".

Ok..insert nipples and weld them in. Prob solved. But now i'm startin to think i want to build me a flat top to play around with and was just "thinkin" about makin the air intake a bit simpler.
i read about bds cookers and how they use some kind of plugs in 8 or 10 holes. Low heat= 1 or 2 plugs open...more heat = more holes open.
what kind of plugs????? Brethren are always talkin about using silicon to seal air leaks...so i did a search on silicon plugs....and found a LOT of co.'s
makin them. they use them in powder coating and electro baking.
withstand 600 degrees F.
Any of u guys (like maybe Norco) have any thoughts on using these plugs?
bass7858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #9754
CraftWerks-RC
Got Wood.

Default My first UDS!

I've had this barrel for sometime now and I'm finally getting around to building my first UDS. It was a brand new barrel and had only been painted (in-n-out) when I got my hands on it.

About an hour or so with the wire wheel and she is looking good from the inside out.

At the same time, also put in my 3 vent pipes and plug welded up a couple small holes that were drilled into the bottom.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this site and mostly to this thread... I have just about read every page at this point, I just wish I could remember it all. LOL.
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #9755
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholtzinger View Post
I am in the process of building 6 more and that is the theme I am going with. Yours looks good.
Thanks. Added a couple Toxic stencils.

capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #9756
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass7858 View Post
I have built 3 uds's. They all came out real well. Dome lids, double cook racks, 15 inch round charcoal baskets, as pans etc.

The first one i built started out as super simple. Drilled 4 intake holes and used sheet magnets to control air intake. That actually works good except i had them stuck directly to the side of the drum and after about 2-3 hours at heat they start loosin their "sticky power".

Ok..insert nipples and weld them in. Prob solved. But now i'm startin to think i want to build me a flat top to play around with and was just "thinkin" about makin the air intake a bit simpler.
i read about bds cookers and how they use some kind of plugs in 8 or 10 holes. Low heat= 1 or 2 plugs open...more heat = more holes open.
what kind of plugs????? Brethren are always talkin about using silicon to seal air leaks...so i did a search on silicon plugs....and found a LOT of co.'s
makin them. they use them in powder coating and electro baking.
withstand 600 degrees F.
Any of u guys (like maybe Norco) have any thoughts on using these plugs?

I can see no reason they would not work :-). it might be nice to have a short slice of pipe to push them into, say take a 6" nipple and cut it into pieces, or ask the HW store to cut you however 1" long slices you wanted :-).
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #9757
bass7858
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks Will. good idea. And a bump back to the top!!
bass7858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #9758
jw177
Got Wood.

Ok, I have gathered almost everything for UDS build. I have a couple questions: What thermometer are most using to mount on the drum, i have an ET-73 as well. Where are you uys finding the high temp paint in other than balck, silver or white?

Thanks!
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #9759
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I got some caliper red paint and gold flake engine paint from Advanced Auto parts.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #9760
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

Yep, engine paint from any auto parts store.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #9761
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Contemplating the intake on my next uds build. The first one I used 1/4 turn ball valves but I wondered, has anyone used the daisy wheel intakes from a donor grill for intake vents?

I've seen a lot of various intake mods but don't recall seeing those.
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #9762
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw177 View Post
Ok, I have gathered almost everything for UDS build. I have a couple questions: What thermometer are most using to mount on the drum, i have an ET-73 as well. Where are you uys finding the high temp paint in other than balck, silver or white?

Thanks!

I just used plain old spray paint, if you do not do anything "strange" the drum will not generally get that hot. That said I did hit the charcoal with the air from a small shop vac and "toast" my normal paint a bit :-).

My favorite thermo so far is one I got with a Turkey Fryer from Gander Mtn, it has a long enough reach to go to drum center from the side, BUT I did find that installing it that way means it picks up radiant heat from below and gives a reading that is not "true".

On the pie or other shaped rotating vents, What I hate about them the little I have used them is the lack of precision, I have seen where people made a rotating cover for just a single 1/2" or 3/4" hole, that looked pretty cool. That gives you the option to use it "binary" (on or off) or analog (partially open) :-).
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #9763
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Just finished UDS#5 Nothing fancy, just functional. 16"x16" charcoal basket with adjustable charcoal grate so I can use it to grill if needed. Breaking it in with a spatchcocked bird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1134.jpg (67.9 KB, 836 views)
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #9764
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
Just finished UDS#5 Nothing fancy, just functional. 16"x16" charcoal basket with adjustable charcoal grate so I can use it to grill if needed. Breaking it in with a spatchcocked bird.
Looks great
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #9765
graywolfpcc
Found some matches.

She's finally done. I didn't quite get the blue I was looking for, but it still looks pretty good. This thing ROCKS! I've done a breakfast fatty, an 8lb picnic, spares, ABTs, and some chicken breasts. Everything has turned out great.

I borrowed a buddy's PitmasterIQ and smokered the picnic over night at 240 - 250. After 16 hours, I still had more than 1/2 of the original charcoal left.

Unfortunately (for me), I built this one for my brother-in-law. Hopefully the next one will do just as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-16_17-04-09_930.jpg (48.8 KB, 803 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (54.6 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-07_15-15-48_382.jpg (53.1 KB, 801 views)
graywolfpcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker