Minion Method

Wi-Doe-Maker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, after all the reading I've done here I took your advise and ordered the WSM Smoker!!!....I've tried to research the Minion Method and I must be as dumb as Chit cause I find everything BUT the method!!!..can anyone provide me with the proper way to apply this method to the WSM???...Many Thanks in advance!!!!..Wi-Doe-Maker:confused:

Check out the Virtual Weber site at www.virtualweberbullet.com. There are some modifications (handles, thermometer additions, etc.) and a couple of discussions on handing the fire in the bullet - including the Minion and modified Minion methods.

I fill the charcoal ring (adding small pieces of wood for flavor - oak, pecan, etc.) and leave a hole in the middle about the size of a 1# coffee can...in this hole a put 2 or 3 small pieces of wood (I split mine down to about the size of large chewing gum packets maybe 1"x1/2 inch). I then start about 12-15 briquettes (I use Kingsford but Royal Oak, etc. are certainly ok) and when they are ashed over in the chimney I pour them into the hole with the small wood chunks.

At this point its just a matter of waiting for things to heat up to your desired temp.

Here's my version...

secondlayer.jpg

WhiteTrash BBQ's slightly modified Minon Method

The short of the long is to put a load of unlit charcoal in your firebasket and dump a load of lit from a chimney on top of it.

You get double burn time and the nasties are burned off the lower unlit briqs as the fumes rise up thru the burning briqs. Farkin genius.

Brauma said:
...and dump a load of lit from a chimney on top of it...
Actually you can start with as few as a dozen lit coals on top, up to like 20 or more. The amount of lit coals and the amount and temp of the water in the pan will affect how long it takes the cooker to get up to temp and stabilized. You can use this to your advantage when adjusting for weather conditions.
The only caveat about the Minion method is that it doesn't seem to work as well with smaller loads of charcoal. I've had my best results with Jim's method with 2/3 of a full ring of unlit or more to start with.
Definately check out the Virtual Weber site. Lots of good info there, including step by step how to's. Or just ask away. Lots of good people and good info here too.

Brauma said:
The short of the long is to put a load of unlit charcoal in your firebasket and dump a load of lit from a chimney on top of it.

You get double burn time and the nasties are burned off the lower unlit briqs as the fumes rise up thru the burning briqs. Farkin genius.

Put so eloquently by my esteemed colleague from Virginia. Yep, he's got the splainin done right good. From my recollection, that is exactly the method and it's intent.

Thanks!!

Thank you all for your usual great advice!!!..That's what makes this place so awesome..super people sharing their ideas and experiences with dumb newbe farks like me!!!!..LOL!!!..now I can't wait for my WSM to arrive..I bought it at Amazon.Com for $199..I also bought a chimney starter and a rib rack..the total for all including shipping was $237.44...I think that was a decent deal Eh???

Wi-Doe-Maker said:
Thank you all for your usual great advice!!!..That's what makes this place so awesome..super people sharing their ideas and experiences with dumb newbe farks like me!!!!..LOL!!!..now I can't wait for my WSM to arrive..I bought it at Amazon.Com for $199..I also bought a chimney starter and a rib rack..the total for all including shipping was $237.44...I think that was a decent deal Eh???
You got that right WDM. And if you have any more questions, you could always ask the man himself, Jim M. is a brother too, and a real nice guy as well, I am told.

I got a charcoal basket with a "S" shaped path fabricated for my Bandera. This works on the Minion method principle as well, with the unlit charcoal furthest from the smoke chamber and the hot stuff dumped in on the smoke chamber side. I can get about 4 hours of 225F on a coolish (50F) day with this device. I have ordered basket from Klose with my MasterChef which is now only about 6 weeks away!

smokinbadger said:
I got a charcoal basket with a "S" shaped path fabricated for my Bandera. This works on the Minion method principle as well, with the unlit charcoal furthest from the smoke chamber and the hot stuff dumped in on the smoke chamber side. I can get about 4 hours of 225F on a coolish (50F) day with this device. I have ordered basket from Klose with my MasterChef which is now only about 6 weeks away!

Interesting... got a pic?

basket mods?

How did you get a S shape fabbed? Do you have any pics to share?
I wonder if I could make one with a backwards S for my BSKD?:icon_clown

I do a pie kind of thing. Picture a pie missing one slice. That's how I arrange the fuel and I dump the lit charcoal in the opening. I find that the pit temps are easier to maintain that way than dumping over the top.

OK well I've got another question now...I thought the Minion Method was so good because the unlit fuels gases had to rise thru the lit coals thus burning off the noxious off tasting stuff. So if you use this "Ring" method isn't there always unlit fuel being burned thus giving the food an off flavor because it the gases don't rise thru burning fuel????..What the Fark???..Wi-Doe

Klose baskets feature the S deal he has a good pic on his siteYou can make a "Pie Principal" Basket out of a drum from a washing machine expanded metal and two pieces of flat

Back